View Single Post
Old 01-02-2009, 17:18   #1 (permalink)
BellVictim

Member: 936397
Thanks Meter: 6
Debranding - Hacking VSM files

First, big hat tip to user sdtv13, for posting this collection of oodles of VSM files:
http://rapidshare.com/files/175815498/all_vsm_pack.zip

I've been looking at a few, here's what I've seen, maybe someone can add to this knowledge until we have the scheme for the VSM file format, then we can make our own?!?!

- A VSM is a resource file of sorts and contains 1 OR MORE files inside, These resources seem to be uncompressed and may be text, PNG files or even MP3 files.

The first 20 bytes of a VSM file are a biggie header and largely unknown in purpose:
- byte offset 0xC seems to be the Vendor ID
- the last 2 bytes of these 20 (in high-low order) indicate the size of the first resource

... then we have the first resource

If there's only one resource in the VSM then we have some unknown and irregularly-counted trailing bytes (say 6 or 7?).

If we have another resource in the VSM file then after the first resource_data ends we then have 8 unknown bytes, then two bytes (again in high-low format) indicating the size of the second resource, followed by the second resource.

That's all I have time for, maybe someone can leapfrog on this?

Thx to all for the info on this site - i just un-network-locked my 8700r successfully (or so it seems : )
=-=-=-=-

The most important part to consider here, is that VSM files ARE NOT merely 20 static bytes prepended to a PNG splash-screen file.
=-=-=-=-

Personally, if I wanted to adjust my splash screen I'd go about it this way:
- locate the relevant VSM file from my provider for my model of device
- remove the PNG part of it which is my splash screen
- and insert into the same location in the VSM file my new PNG splash screen
- then adjust the last 2 bytes of the 20-byte header to be the size of my inserted PNG file since it's unlikely that my PNG will be the same filesize as the original
- have $100 in hand to replace my BB if I brick it when I load this new VSM file

Good luck!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BellVictim For This Useful Post:
Show/Hide list of the thanked

Page generated in 0.07469 seconds with 7 queries