View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 18:30   #13 (permalink)
elseWestcott
Freak Poster

Member: 956117
Thanks Meter: 66
I fixed some problems that caused parseVSM to overwrite the 0x0.png because some branding versions have a two null byte pad after the resource section and before the footer and signature.

While I was at it, I made it create a file that indicates the branding version and the vendor id and another file called "BVHasPad" if the file has the two null byte pad. This may help if someone else with actual programming skills wants to write a better parser/editor.

Note that I have not made it to dump the signature to a file. Some VSM files are signed and some are not. In order to sign files, I think would require RIM's private key which I don't expect anyone outside RIM will ever see.

Also note that some VSM files use an openPGP public key for the branding key (0x4003). Some have an invalid user id when trying to imort them into openPGP, and some seem to be some other format key. Maybe an earlier version of PGP? Anyone know? There is a possibility that the branding key (resorce type 0x4003) may be the public key that would be used to verify the signature. I have not managed to do that yet. Thankfully having a correct checksum in the file header is enough to convince the BlackBerry to accept the branding data.

I also updated the batch file to be much smaller thanks to niggadik.

The new version is available at the same place, http://c.site88.net/parseVSM

Page generated in 0.14628 seconds with 7 queries