GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > GSM & CDMA Phones / Tablets Software & Hardware Area > iPhone ,iPod & iPad (Apple Inc. Products) > iPhone 11 / iPhone 11 Pro / iPhone 11 Pro Max

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2022, 18:43   #1 (permalink)

Member: 3001941
Thanks Meter: 0
Lightbulb iPhone 11 Screen Side Touch IC transfer

Hey, new to the forum here, trying to figure out a solution to get around the "Cannot verify genuine display" message on iphone 11's and up.

Qianli and jcid MtSN transfers will restore true tone but since 15.0 the message will appear on an aftermarket screen. The only remaining option seems to be to transfer the chip that is on the touch cable of the screen from the original to an aftermarket (similar to a prox replacement while maintaining faceID). I am however having some trouble with this one and was wondering if anyone had any tips?

My specific problems are:
  • Removing the underfill has been removing a layer of insolating tape
  • The best stencil I have for reballing the BGA is a universal one that isn't exactly spaced appropriately (although this one is more just annoying, I can pull this off with only mild difficulty)
  • Some of the pads in the center also have their insolating tape pulled off when removing the chip, making bridging pads when putting on the OEM chip very likely.

Surprisingly, the crappy little heat shield I slapped together seems to be doing the trick for protecting the LCD from heat damage, so no problems with using heat. So far on my 5 or so attempts, I've only been able to restore partial touch on the new screen, and this is a much harder fpcb bga transfer than touch ic given I can't visually check for bridged pads.

BTW I have seen that rewa video about using an IC grinder, and after using some mini rotary tools, it feels like such an incredibly impractical solution, also seems more difficult than just heating it off.

Any advice would definitely be appreciated, and I'll give updates if I figure out anything that would help others with this kind of repair. I'm gonna try to repaint over any of the exposed coper with a UV activated insulator, buuuuut I'm not super hopeful considering it's a 6x18 grid (at least on the Pro Max's I've been trying to develop this repair with).
Old 01-13-2022, 19:06   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCR_Brick View Post
it's a 6x18 grid (at least on the Pro Max's I've been trying to develop this repair with).
6x17, my bad, don't wanna look like I don't know what I'm talking about
Old 01-13-2022, 21:57   #3 (permalink)

UV glue seems to have worked decently, but the heat shield was too thick, causing a slight bend in the flex and thus a section of pads that did not connect. Unfortunately in trying to fix that I fubared the screen so idk if it worked well on pads in the middle of the chip.

Also, just got the correct stencil in, QianLi x/8/8p one has one that works perfectly for this, and saves a LOT of hassle.
Old 01-21-2022, 16:20   #4 (permalink)

lol nvm, aftermarket screens are hella easy for chip removal.