GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > The Market Place > The Market Feed Back

The Market Feed Back Write here your feedback and your Comments about buyers, sellers or Product Feed Back, Read Carefully The Related Rules for this Section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2005, 18:02   #1 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 98836
Thanks Meter: 7
Anyone here charge for barred handsets

Hi

you all know the story you do your job unlock a handset with your expensive equipment and once done insert sim only to find handset barred, who says
"F*** you ive done my job pay me" or who says "sorry looks like you handset maybe blacklisted there will be no charge" ??? or what is the correct etiquitte for this situation
Old 02-27-2005, 19:43   #2 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 51154
Thanks Meter: 68
The second obviously mate But get you're money first before you unlock any phone, its always easier to give a refund than chase someone down the street

best regards
Old 02-27-2005, 21:01   #3 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 111845
Thanks Meter: 2
No the way i look at it if they ask me to unlock a phone and i do then they pay if the phones barred thats there problem not mine. Why should i lose out coz there stupid enough to have a bent phone.
Old 02-27-2005, 21:24   #4 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 63904
Thanks Meter: 12
We always try and check the handset before unlocking it, it gets rid of most problems. If you're not sure, make sure you have a disclaimer up in your shop, that way, you're covered. We don't like charging for this, if it is barred, hence the checks we do, but if it is a security code, we charge every time, regardless!

The bigger problem is when they come in for a refund 3 weeks later, when it does get barred!! Show em the door, every time.
Old 02-27-2005, 23:19   #5 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 55766
Thanks Meter: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry123
Hi

you all know the story you do your job unlock a handset with your expensive equipment and once done insert sim only to find handset barred, who says
"F*** you ive done my job pay me" or who says "sorry looks like you handset maybe blacklisted there will be no charge" ??? or what is the correct etiquitte for this situation
I do as mobilesunlocked does, Ive always got working sim cards of all UK networks and I check before unlock. So if they havent got current working sim in the phone I check by making a call as voda gives signal even if blocked. Then if looks like blocked phone I tell customer and tell them it will cost them even if it cant be used.
Old 02-28-2005, 00:40   #6 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 90287
If the phone is barred I usually tell the customer that i have to keep the phone so i can hand it to the police since it is blacklisted. Some of then get scared and leave the phone
Old 02-28-2005, 00:40   #7 (permalink)
No Life Poster

@ Mobilesunlocked

You dont even need a disclaimer up mate if they ask you to unlock it and you do its there problem if its a barred phone, what are they gonna do go to trading standards and sey excuse me i gave this shop a barred phone to unlock theyve unlocked it and it still doesnt work? Then again you do get idiots who say they will goto trading standards or the police lol but im a nice guy so i give them the phone number and say go ahead lol
Old 02-28-2005, 09:28   #8 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 63904
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDXI
@ Mobilesunlocked

You dont even need a disclaimer up mate if they ask you to unlock it and you do its there problem if its a barred phone, what are they gonna do go to trading standards and sey excuse me i gave this shop a barred phone to unlock theyve unlocked it and it still doesnt work? Then again you do get idiots who say they will goto trading standards or the police lol but im a nice guy so i give them the phone number and say go ahead lol
If all customers knew the difference between unlocking, and unbarring, it would make our lives easier!!! Everyday you will get some numpty who thinks that unlocking a barred phone will make it work again. Having a disclaimer up (professionally printed) gives you back up, something to point to etc. this way they can't argue. Putting trading standards and Police phone numbers on it is a good idea btw!!
Old 02-28-2005, 09:46   #9 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 51154
Thanks Meter: 68
Quote:
If all customers knew the difference between unlocking, and unbarring
Tell me about it Have you had someone in and ask you "can you dual band my phone?" ? Took the cogs in my brain 30 seconds to figure out what they mean't LOL Just a simple unlock

But most people buy phones from eBay or car boots and what them unlocking not realising what they have let themselves in to. You gotta feel sorry for them when they've parted £50 for a phone only to find a few days later its barred. Moral of the story - don't buy from guys wearing baseball caps in a muddy field on a Sunday morning, they may as well be wearing black and whhite striped jumpers and black masks.

br
Old 02-28-2005, 13:51   #10 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 25814
Thanks Meter: 1
For me it depends on the situation if its something like a simple nokia unlock the chances are I would give the phone back with no charge, however if it has cost me to unlock it, say an x70 on the logger, then yes I would pass that cost on to the customer, however I wouldn't charge any extra just the cost of the logs!!
Old 02-28-2005, 15:02   #11 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 73674
Thanks Meter: 91
1st, we always check phone can make calls. If we suspect the phone is barred. explain to customer that we only unlock to remove the restrictions and let the phone accept any net work sim. But will the phone or the net work allow making or receiving calls is beyound our control. so, let them make decision. Some of them problely found phone and think paying a small unlocking fee is worth a chance.
Old 02-28-2005, 15:43   #12 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlockmaster
If the phone is barred I usually tell the customer that i have to keep the phone so i can hand it to the police since it is blacklisted. Some of then get scared and leave the phone
Lol but im betting you never hand them over to the police lol more like change the imei, strip it for parts or flog it on ebay
Old 03-03-2005, 00:10   #13 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Member: 28126
Thanks Meter: 0
I agree with the earlier comment. I always check the handset before unlocking in front of the customer and check that it calls out first. If I unlock the phone and it is barred, I still expect to be paid for the unlock. After all I've done my job. I've used the tools that I've paid for to unlock the phone...so why not charge? You have to pay for your M.O.T even if the car fails don't you. I do sympathize though sometimes.
Old 03-03-2005, 00:32   #14 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 58075
Thanks Meter: 17
I have an excellent disclaimer I will post tomorrow, leave it in a highly visable place, I leave a copy on the front door next to unlocking price list and 1 on the counter standing up, I like to sus the customer out and ask if they just want the phone unlocked to be able to insert another providers card into IE: "what network are you changing to sir/madam?" or if they are experiencing problems with the network they are currently using.

Also software such as prodigy etc tells you if the phone is currently locked, if it shows up unlocked then I just ask the customer if the security code needs resetting at the same time or if they were experiencing any problems with the network they were using, I ask all this before clicking unlock.

If it does come up barred and they moan about it then I ask to look at the phone again and either relock or set a security code of my choice and then don’t take their money.

It has come to ****s a few times such as one customer asking for a refund after "sim card registration failed" message and I was blamed for not unlocking the handset properly lol. Nokia 6100. Being a 16st weight lifter most people just agree with me and pay with no arguments, just keep to your cool don’t get angry and stay professional and DONT refund otherwise others will try to get free unlocks for their foreign friends.

BTW I had a customer in for a security code reset and it was 12345 already was I bad to charge him £5 anyway? It was his stupidity surely, he was still happy afterwards, and so was I of course.
Old 03-03-2005, 00:37   #15 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 58075
Thanks Meter: 17
On another note do we tell ALL customers that when we unlock their handsets it will not accept 3 SIM cards? I do try to tell most that this will be an impossibility also NEC mobiles and T-Mobile please wait problems must be informed of, and also that they cannot change WAP/GPRS settings on their 3 handsets