GSM-Forum

GSM-Forum (https://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/)
-   Nokia Legacy Phones ( DCT-1 ,2 ,3 ,L ) (https://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f131/)
-   -   Firmware Upgrade (Nokia 3310) for Dummies Like Me (https://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f131/firmware-upgrade-nokia-3310-dummies-like-me-38555/)

sedaqah 04-11-2002 05:51

Firmware Upgrade (Nokia 3310) for Dummies Like Me

<p>I'm a non-techie person who won a Nokia 3310 in a seminar-workshop I attended a few months back. When I won the 3310, I was already owning a 5110. So, I transferred the SIM from my 5110 to my newly won 3310, only to get a "SIM Card Rejected" error from my prize because it was from a different network provider. (My original provider was Globe-PH; the new 3310 I won was from Smart-PH, complete with new prepaid SIMpack.)

<p>So I asked my sister to bring it downtown to have it "opened," i.e., to make it accept any SIM card from any network.

<p>Indeed, when she came back, the phone was functioning with my old Globe SIM card.

<p>Just this month, I learned new stuff about my mobile, such as that one can upgrade the phone's software by bringing it to a service center. I asked around and was aghast by the prices for upgrading the software: somewhere around 500 to 700 Philippine pesos. Poor me! I can't afford that much. The service center personnel said they could have done the upgrade for free had I not voided my phone's warranty by "opening" it (she probably meant "unlocking" it).

<p>So, I was wondering if anyone on this forum can take me on a step-by-step, guided trip to upgrading my 3310's firmware on my own. I currently have version 04.19 (NHM-5, 03-01-01) as reported by keying in *#0000#. I also have a handful of software that I downloaded off the Net. And last month I bought a data cable for my 3310 (the cable works with Logo Manager; I don't know what kind it is, though I think it's an auto-switchable FBUS/MBUS).

<p>I'd appreciate it if any kind-hearted expert could explain each step to me in simple language because, as I said, I'm a non-techie and a dummy when it comes to these stuff.

<p>Can anyone help me, please? I can't afford to pay for a software upgrade at a service center, so I figure I might as well do it on my own. Please send help through <a href="mailto:[email protected]">e-mail</a>.

<p>Thank you so much.

[MoOkIe] 04-11-2002 20:08

Hi!

You will need a flasher... And the MBUS cable... so don't sell it, and buy the flashing set...

And check out Schwantz's website... it will get you started... also, search arround the forum...

Cheers.

sedaqah 04-12-2002 00:55

What's a flasher set? What does it consist? Approximately how much does it cost (in Philippine pesos)?

[MoOkIe] 04-12-2002 01:53

Hi.

I don't know the actual prices... but try searching in gsm on-line stores... they usually sell it...

I forgot to tell you but,
If you only want to make software updates, you can buy a dejan box... it's a more professional box and you don't need the mbus cable...

Check gsm websites... :)

Cheers.