GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > GSM & CDMA Phones / Tablets Software & Hardware Area > Various > Siemens-Benq > Siemens-Benq Flash Patching

Siemens-Benq Flash Patching All about Flash patching/patches and Flash Modifications we can get it from here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2004, 17:37   #1 (permalink)

Member: 56014
Thanks Meter: 0
A Call To Arms (s56)

I wonder if there is anybody who be able to unlock flex memeory of S56.
At its originaly released state most of the folder are locked, i.e. it is not possible to copy and paste between them. Also, solutions like DES do not work. I have a copy of S56 FUBU but know to little to try that task. Anybody ready for challenge out there?

PS Copy of S56 FUBU available upon request.
PPS Shame on you Siemens for crippling S55 for US market. That's what happens when lawyers are ruling the world..........

Stefan

Old 05-02-2004, 18:43   #2 (permalink)

Member: 46340
Lightbulb An Appeal to Patchers

I hereby humbly request any patchers in the U.S. (with the S56) to start to make patches for the S56 - to replace lost functionality and to add functionality such as is possible with S55 patches. Hopefully, all the patches can be combined into a single patch, creating a patch that can restore the S56 to its S55 roots, but still with the American wording (in the menus) and of course compatibility with the 56's radio (850, etc.).

You know what's weird, duchski, I was thinking of making a new topic yesterday with what I'm (and you're) talking about.

Old 05-03-2004, 02:31   #3 (permalink)

Paul,
I am not surprised 'casue we all get frsutrated with that little piece of s%^&t called S56. Siemens ***** for giving in to lawyers afraid of potenatial copyright violation lawsuits.. (I can see Siemens being sued for all these ringtones exchanged over the air ...LOL)

Unfoturnatley I am afraid there will not be many patches sposted here since most of the patches come from enthusiast who are just having fun with the soft.
Who is going to spend time playing with soft that could never be used on their own phone...

I am hoping one of our Russian or German great contributors would map S55 soft to S56 so we could easily conver S55 patches. Then again, I am not sure if that's possible.

I have not heard about any functional patches but if you wish to play with graphics on the phone you can use Siemens Picture Changer and fool it to work with s56 by adding this to the ini file:

[S56]
DefaultOffset=0x400000
Offset_v6=0x400000
Farbhandy=2
compress=0
Flexmem=0
FlexGroesse=0
SpreadPITs=0

This soft will allow to change graphics on the phone.

Also, soft SLGED will allow to change menus if you so desire, to another language or just your own phrases......

Unfortunaly there are no functional patches that I know of fos S56 and I am getting reallly pi#@!ed when reading about all those great and less then great enhancements for s55.

Once again, SHAME ON YOU SIEMENS!!!

Old 05-03-2004, 03:32   #4 (permalink)

Member: 46340
I'm not so sure what you're tlaking about when you're talking about copyright violations, but ringtones are usually not copyrighted and can be exchanged freely - after all, they are just MIDI notes, and Siemens can't be responsible for people who make MIDI's of artist's songs.

But, the S56 is still a pretty sweet phone, I know it kicks everyone's @$$ that I know here. Yet, I'm guessing Siemens made this so that it would be more in line with the US carrier's oppressive objectives - it's not siemens, it's the US carriers.

Since usually we Us guys get our phones from the companies, they really dictate what goes on (and comes off) the phone. So it's really just the Us companies oppressing us so that they can control us even more so than they already do.

One thing i do know is that file sharing on the S56 is pretty much locked (unless you use that one trick with getting stuff into the /MyData folder) because they don't want us swapping copyrighted files. In other words, they want to force us to pay freakin' $1.99 for a ringtone. YEA RIGHT, I just download my ringers off the net and post them to my website, then use WAP on my phone to get them. No way am I paying MORE money to my carrier to get a ringtone that I'm gonna use for about two weeks then move on to another tone.

But at least we don't have it as bad as some guys. Those guys in Asia have it worse with the S57 - they don't have bluetooth or the voice recorder! Com'n!

Lol - but I do agree that probably not many people are going to spend the time to help us, unless they have a S56 themselves - but if they're ******** then I doubt they'd get a S56 anyway.

Oh well, hopefully future Siemens phones won't be so modified by the Us companies.

So I guess I can say "IDIOTIC U.S. CELL PHONE CARRIERS"

And to imagine, they charge this much, give us crippled phones, and still can't pull a profit? Hmm, maybe when the company is $100 million in debt, they should quit giving the CEO $3 mil. bonuses and more summer mansions and private jets and concentrate on the business!!

Old 05-04-2004, 06:50   #5 (permalink)

Paul,

That's the story I heard about why S56 has a "closed" memory system:
potential copyright violations. And YES midis can and are copyrighted and so are the actual songs that MIDIs emulate.... Whether Siemens can be held liable that's another question but with everything that goes on right now, who knows?
Honestly Siemens is a good phone with an exception of battery life (Nokias last much longer), ringer volume (way to low) and storage. C'mon 1MB? My last NOKIA had 5MB.... (6800)
It also ages rapidly compared to everything that is out there now... I stil like it, the form factor, logic behind menus and especialy ease of patching... which unfortunetaly applies more to S55s and S57s...

I hear what you are saying about American carriers but every carries is in for the same reason: the money. They are all the same around the world... What is different is the legal environement within which they opearte in the US... RIAA is really going nuts recently (see NAPSTEr et all)

On the ringtones, get a cheap infrared port and donwload them to your phone this way. It works. Only cable is disabled. I am not sure about BlueTooth as my laptot does not have it.

Unfortunately you are not right about S57, fucntionally is the same phone as s55 (maybe with an eception of BT) i.e. I think you are able to convert S57 to S55. The reason voice recorder was left out is that the T9 in Asia takes too much memory...

On the carriers, it is probably going to get worse since Cing and AWS merged and they boht crippled S55...... The one think that is nice about US carries is price. Try comparing US pricing to the one in Europe!!!
I got AWS charter plan at $99 for unlimited usage and no long distance.....
Cheap as dirt.

Take care,