GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > GSM & CDMA Phones / Tablets Software & Hardware Area > Various > Siemens-Benq > Siemens-Benq Flash Patching

Siemens-Benq Flash Patching All about Flash patching/patches and Flash Modifications we can get it from here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2005, 19:43   #1 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 67838
Thanks Meter: 0
Bug in ESI - Extended Firmware String ID

@Master RizaPN:

There appears to be a problem with ESI on my phone at least. Missed calls make left soft-key text disappear completely (and not only)

What happens exactly:

When caller hangs up, the screen flashes momentarily with a multitude of "P"s and dots, then goes back to idle screen, with missed call icon on left soft key. Pressing that takes me to missed call menu, all fine till now. Pressing red key for exiting produces the idle screen, where text on the left soft-key has disappeared completely. Same happens for right soft-key when pressing * or # for Profiles/View CB. On View CB, CB title is missing completely, there's nothing above the horizontal line.

Have tried with and without ESI - with it happens, without it doesn't.

If you need a list of the patches I have installed before this, please let me know and I will provide it asap.

Old 04-14-2005, 00:24   #2 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 9891
Thanks Meter: 2
I try you scenario, but nothing happened in my phone with ESI installed. Everything is normal ... Anybody else has the same problem with adancau ?

Theoritically, ESI will not give an impact like that. ESI is only use the unused firmware text ID, for our patching purposes, nothing else ... As far as I know, all non-text button use their own ID (far from code which is used by ESI) ...

The know bugs of ESI is : if we use same string ID in more than 1 patch which is running sequencially, then the text will be overwritten by the last active patch. For example: Favorite menu (FAV) patch + Notes ...

Old 04-14-2005, 09:01   #3 (permalink)
Freak Poster

What I did was take a clean, original SLIK56 firmware, install it in the phone and install patches ontop. After each patch I tested (since I didn't know which patch was responsible for the problem I was having), and everything was ok until I installed ESI. Afterwards, it started happening. Removed ESI, everything normal again. I repeated this test for a couple of times, and concluded it was ESI. After which I proceeded to install the other patches I wanted, minus ESI, and everything continues to work as it should.

Old 04-14-2005, 09:42   #4 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Very strange ... if it is caused by ESI (based on your story and trial), then the button is using some code used by ESI patch ...

ps:
- Are you using an English, or other language pack ?

Old 04-14-2005, 09:47   #5 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizapn
Very strange ... if it is caused by ESI (based on your story and trial), then the button is using some code used by ESI patch ...

ps:
- Are you using an English, or other language pack ?
I'm using a modified English LNG (for use with APP, STS and a few others), but it happens with default English LNG too.
Left softkey is assigned to Write SMS, but as I have mentioned, both the Profiles and View CB right softkeys (when pressing # and *) are impacted, and also the Read New [CB] title when clicking View CB.
I'm not using MBT, if it makes any difference. Softkeys are resized to use small font, but it happens with normal font too. If you need any other details please let me know.
And thank you for taking the time to investigate.

Old 04-14-2005, 09:50   #6 (permalink)
Freak Poster

One more thing. When testing it happened about 80% of the time, sometimes it didn't. But only with ESI installed, else working fine.

Old 04-14-2005, 09:51   #7 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Do we have any other user(s) with the same problem?

Old 04-14-2005, 13:28   #8 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Member: 93204
I experienced problem with ESI and FAV 2.01. With both patches installed, short press of Red key turns off phone immediatelly. I uninstalled ESI - short press Red and phone hangs up. After uninstalling FAV 2.01 everything is fine. I'm using polish language pack.

Old 04-14-2005, 22:38   #9 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 60520
@G spot:
If I understand you right, the bug occurs both with ESI installed or uninstalled. So it's a bug of FAV2.01?? I did not test 2.01, but the other favourite menus on red key and on left arrow key are working fine.

Old 04-14-2005, 23:38   #10 (permalink)
Insane Poster

@rc-flitzer:
That's right, it could be a bug of FAV 2.01 - now I'm not sure. But phone behaves differently with and without ESI, when Red is shortpressed. I also noticed some problems with leftside + key.

I have to experiment a little with ESI and different FAVs.

@all:
Could anyone confirm or deny problems with ESI and FAV2.01 combination? Thanks.

Old 04-15-2005, 00:37   #11 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 66040
Thanks Meter: 14
I have FAV 2.01 modified to Up arrow, Red Button v2, Programmable Left Arrow, and ESI patches. No such problems on my phone. Works fine.

Old 04-15-2005, 08:33   #12 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 27745
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlielao
I have FAV 2.01 modified to Up arrow, Red Button v2, Programmable Left Arrow, and ESI patches. No such problems on my phone. Works fine.
Me, too

(...................................)

Old 04-15-2005, 09:00   #13 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Will flash clean SLIK56 and install only ESI, see if the problem is still there..
I dunno, I'm wondering - could it be because of my eeprom?

I installed ESI last night, and tested it once more. For a while it worked fine. Afterwards I added some more shortcuts to the FAV menu, and it didn't work fine anymore. Same problem as described above. I noticed actually that there are more messages missing. I.E. The right softkey text that appears when you press a digit (should show assigned function), also some other messages (like for example when loading a language file).

Will let everyone know how my test went.

Old 04-15-2005, 09:38   #14 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Apparently found it:

The real culprit is this patch.

;*** Without 'Call ended' ***

;Remove 'Call ended', so you can see calling time,
;or turn on autodial (if busy) immediately

18EC96: D007 0100

3AF8D2: 302C 3023
18E330: FFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFF7F

The patch appears to collide with ESI.
I installed fresh, virgin SLIK56, only ESI, everything working fine. Added FAV2, RBM2, and a few other patches. Still everything ok. After which I added "Without call ended", called myself, hung up to produce a missed call, and bang, short flash of screen with P's and dots, after which softkey text started to disappear. Uninstalled, repeated the procedure, all fine again. Installed back, problems. So I uninstalled it.

It would be great though if the patches were modified to coexist, "Without call ended" is a pretty useful patch in my opinion (though not as useful as FAV2 and the like).

Old 04-15-2005, 10:03   #15 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Sorry for false alarm . I was sure, that I have corrected FAV 2.01, but it was first version of this patch. Now it works fine. Thanks all for your interest.