GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > GSM & CDMA Phones / Tablets Software & Hardware Area > Nokia > Nokia Digital Core Technology 4 ( DCT-4 ) > WD2 & APE (Symbian Phones)

WD2 & APE (Symbian Phones) All WD2 like 3230, 3650, 3660, 6260, 6600, 6650, 6670, 7610, 7650, N-Gage, N-Gage QD also here we can get all About APE phones like 9500, 9300, 9300i, 7710, 6620, 6708.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2005, 00:10   #1 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Member: 32786
Thanks Meter: 0
Exclamation My ngage QD has lost its mind...

I can't still believe what has happened to me today with the ngage...maybe the filesystem had been corrupted? I'll put my experience here, I hope it's useful for someone!

2170 Kb free on main filesystem. About 900 messages stored on the phone and some bad shutdowns.

I start Ultramp3, and when I press "rescan filesystem" (for finding new mp3 on the MMC) it says "General Error", and then "Application Closed : MediaServer".

Okay, I use Mp3player, no problem. Then I start writing a new sms and I recieve a new one. Try to save what I was writing as a draft and I get System Error (I'm NOT storing SMS on the MMC). And then I cannot get out from the "new sms" screen. okay, I press the red button (end call), and I get to the standby screen. I think "let's save messages". I open Seleq and try to copy "Mail" folder onto MMC. After copying three files it says "System Error". Then Application Closed: SysAp, twice or three times and then Boom! Reset.

Okay, so I say "let's try again". Tried it three times and always get the same error: System Error, even in offline mode (where it shouldn't be using those files...) So I choose to reformat filesystem
*#7370# -> Nokia Logo... Nokia logo... Nokia logo... d*mn! hanged up! I take out the battery and put it back again and the phone boots (and I breathe again...)

I start restoring a backup from MMC and I get about 10 times (before I restart the phone again) "Application Closed: Appserverthread -or something like that-). After rebooting, it starts in silent mode, but without network coverage as in offline mode (the X over the antenna logo appeared, but the profile was set to silent...)

Then it hangs and reboots again.

A last reformat and then everything seems to work ok...

The MMC didn't have any errors (checked it before doing anything...) and it couldn't copy files from main memory... Don't know what happened, but in the future, won't shut it down with open applications (it seems like everything started with a reset when changing from offline mode, while ultramp3 was still running...)

So here's the advice. Be careful with symbian phones... if you try to make it fast, you will probably loose data...
Old 07-24-2005, 10:10   #2 (permalink)

Member: 163925
Thanks Meter: 4
if you want to format the s60 phone, it is advisable to take out the mmc first to ensure smooth formating.

backing up the device memory and restoring it after full format is not wise.

the system error or any 'apps closed' messages is due to corrupted file(s) in the device memory.therefore if you back up the phone's memory and restores it again, you'll be back to square one

( note that sometimes the corrupted file(s) may lie within the mmc )

as for the contacts list you can back it up with 3rd party apps like contacts manager or phonebook transfer.

as for the messages,storing to up to 900 messages not good.

ngage needs as much free space possible in the C: drive to initiate any apps or games.

stockpilling it with messages is not advisable. use MSDrivee to receive your messages directly to your mmc.

if the phone's memory is jammed ( by apps or messages of bluetooth received files ) , the phone will fail to boot as the allocated space or memory needed is not enough.hence the 'NOKIA LOGO' blinking problem.

if this happen,you'll have to reflash the phone rendering any hope of backing up the phone'smemory useless.

cheerio