GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > GSM & CDMA Phones / Tablets Software & Hardware Area > iPhone ,iPod & iPad (Apple Inc. Products) > iPhone 4 / iPhone 4S

iPhone 4 / iPhone 4S iPhone 4 / 4S

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 20:10   #1 (permalink)

Member: 754546
Thanks Meter: 0
3G on 4.1 with bb 6.15 showing no signal

Hi,

My 3G is currently on 4.1 (downgraded from 4.2.1) and bb 6.15.00. This is a previously unlocked phone, but the unlock disappeared when it was updated to 4.2.1 through itunes by a friend (damn these ignorant fools!).

I've tried every possible method to jb and unlock in the past two days giving me varied results:

1. Restore to stock 4.2.1, re-jailbreak and update bb to 6.15 (from 5.14) and unlock - Everything except the unlock worked. I'd re-insert the sim and would get all other carriers listed but mine (vodafone/bsnl in India)
2. Custom restore to custom 4.2.1 (activated), re-jb and re-unlock - same result as above
3. Downgrade to 4.1 (stock+tinyumbrella fix for restore error), re-jb and re-unlock. Same problem
4. Do any combination of the above and manually ultrasnow and mobile substrate (by placing them in folder) - No effect

I don't understand what my problem is, but it clearly seems to be a software one (as I get a carrier reading in settings->about everytime)

I really need help on thisurgently please!!!
Old 05-12-2011, 20:12   #2 (permalink)

Forgot to mention, I also tried jb-ing with different versions of Redsnow and they all worked, so jb doesn't seem to be the problem....

Also tried the mini hacks posted everywhere - turning off 3G, resetting, etc...

HELP!!!
Old 05-12-2011, 21:48   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Member: 1000967
Thanks Meter: 27
ok heres what u need to do. unlock without wifi if the phones wifi is not working make sure u have on itunes 9.1 or 9.2 because if u use itunes 10 it will not work make sure to say thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to recoshaa For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2011, 22:12   #4 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 1198842
Thanks Meter: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidder911 View Post
Hi,

My 3G is currently on 4.1 (downgraded from 4.2.1) and bb 6.15.00. This is a previously unlocked phone, but the unlock disappeared when it was updated to 4.2.1 through itunes by a friend (damn these ignorant fools!).

I've tried every possible method to jb and unlock in the past two days giving me varied results:

1. Restore to stock 4.2.1, re-jailbreak and update bb to 6.15 (from 5.14) and unlock - Everything except the unlock worked. I'd re-insert the sim and would get all other carriers listed but mine (vodafone/bsnl in India)
2. Custom restore to custom 4.2.1 (activated), re-jb and re-unlock - same result as above
3. Downgrade to 4.1 (stock+tinyumbrella fix for restore error), re-jb and re-unlock. Same problem
4. Do any combination of the above and manually ultrasnow and mobile substrate (by placing them in folder) - No effect

I don't understand what my problem is, but it clearly seems to be a software one (as I get a carrier reading in settings->about everytime)

I really need help on thisurgently please!!!
Your problem wasnt in Iphone or other.. read carfully

1- custom software you had downgrade to, it is already jailbreaked and installed sydia on it.. and this to any IPSW named custom

2- your iphone 3g and the last IPSW 4.2.1 and here in form i posted custom IPSW. so download it and let Apple server normal SHSH it because 3G last software still apple signed it

3- if you dont have original sim card to actived it, just over write lock down ( u find it here too ) over . then with sydia install source repo.bingner.com then install Sam
The Following User Says Thank You to frake50 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2011, 07:34   #5 (permalink)

@recohsa - Uninstalled itunes 10.1 and used 9.2, still doesn't work... can you explain how Itunes might be involved in this?

@frake50 - I'm really thankful for your help but could you please explain step by step each process? Sorry I couldn't understand your english....
1. Are you saying I should restore my 4.1 with custom 4.1 firmware (activated)?
2. Are you saying that I should also try using custom firmware 4.2.1 which you posted and try? Did it just now and it didn't work, so I'm thinking of going back to 4.1. Stock or custom, you tell...
3. I haven't tried this, but when do I need to use an original sim? If I don't have it, when do I replace the lockdownd in the jb/unlock process? Your comments are invaluable!
Old 05-13-2011, 07:47   #6 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 1065305
Thanks Meter: 112
simple way
if are using custom firmware
then you no need to jb again
The Following User Says Thank You to dream eyes For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2011, 10:07   #7 (permalink)

@dream eyes - just tried custom restore 4.1 then unlock, not working...

edit: tried lockdown over-write and SAM/Samprefs...not working either.

Meanwhile, I've been reading about how this could be because while changing the display and digitizer recently, the antenna or an antenna component could've been damaged...I'm taking it to my service guy to check it. The reason I suspect this an issue is because the phone detects other carriers (atleast 2-3 everytime I search) but never detects my sim carrier...could it really be an issue with the hardware?
Old 05-13-2011, 15:09   #8 (permalink)

Working!!

Turns out it was a hardware problem, with a tiny IC from one of the antennae missing. So the service guy on my request bypassed the IC by soldering a wire through the connection...worked perfectly fine.

Which means that either the stock 4.1 restore+jb+ultrasnow OR the 4.1+jb+SAM worked...either ways, thanks a LOTTT for your help!

Though now I'm stuck with 4.1 (bb 6.15) which is the most sluggish after 4.0. If I want to upgrade to 4.2.1 what would be your safest recommendation? I already have an activated (preserves unlock) custom 4.2.1 firmware...what would you suggest??