GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > GSM & CDMA Phones / Tablets Software & Hardware Area > Chinese Models & Cloned Phones

Chinese Models & Cloned Phones All China Phone Platforms like (MTK, Spreadtrum.. etc.) Cloned Nokia Nokla & Motorola . etc. Phones are included

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2010, 04:57   #1 (permalink)

Member: 1288647
Thanks Meter: 0
Very Basic question about SIM cards and wifi

Hello all, I am very new to smartphones and ignorant on cell phones in general, so I’m sorry for what probably seems to be a stupid question/problem.

I have a Chinese Clone: Tianxing (Star) N97 Quad Band Dual SIM Dual Standby Touch Screen Slide Phone with TV/WIFI/JAVA

I DO NOT intend on using the phone function at all. So it has no SIM cards in it. I only wanted it for WIFI Opera, skype, and also MP3, Videos, etc.

I can connect to WIFI network OK. Shows good signal strength. But all my apps (Opera, nimbuzz, etc) say something like “Connection Failed” or “No Network”.

I have tried all the settings I can find. A web searching has not lead me to an answer; and, as expected, the manual is next to worthless.

Do I HAVE TO have a SIM card in it to use the WIFI ? Appreciate any advice.

Thanks!
Old 04-22-2010, 23:26   #2 (permalink)

Member: 1288771
Thanks Meter: 1
Hi, I have the same phone. A sim card is not needed for wifi connection as I never had a problem getting online before I got service. It could be because you forgot to enter your network passcode, or maybe clicked on the wrong WLAN network. Also be sure to save your home network as an access point through the settings, so you wont have to enter in the password every time you have to reconnect, makes it much easier and quicker to get online. Hope this helps
The Following User Says Thank You to Rather Unique For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2010, 02:48   #3 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 66399
Thanks Meter: 42
Applications on these phones are Java based. so cross the fingers and pray to ''higher existence fields'' to have a needed java settings which allows access to wifi for apps ...
some clone models have this option ( for example htc hero lookalike WG3 , but after activating virtual keyboard in java settings (for skype) , phone crashed )
Mostly these clone phones are %$$^$ with less fuctionality than ... ( enter here anything ) ...
The Following User Says Thank You to Proxy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2010, 06:41   #4 (permalink)

Ok Thanks!

The phone (under wifi status) shows I do have a good connection and there is some data transfer registering. In further seaching I've found some people have had problems with certain routers and having to turn off DCHP, etc, etc.

I'll continue to play and test, with the confirmation it is not a SIM card issue. Thanks again!
Old 04-26-2010, 11:53   #5 (permalink)

Well, I got an email back from the company I bought it from (chinabuye) and it turns out that actually for my phone, a SIM card IS REQUIRED for java apps to work with wifi .
I remembered I had an old SIM card and once I pulled it in, all the java apps had WIFI ! Yeah!