GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > GSM & CDMA Phones / Tablets Software & Hardware Area > Sony Ericsson > Sony Android based phones

Sony Android based phones General SONY Android based phones discussion, firmwares, solution, root, help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2019, 13:29   #1 (permalink)

Member: 2898164
Thanks Meter: 0
Seemingly dead Xperia Z5 Compact - Takes current but no indication

Hello,

I have had my Sony Z5 compact (E5823) for about 2 and a half years. I had gotten it from another country as Sony phones are very rare here. Subsequently I am unable to find a competent repair shop or any spare parts for it here and will have to order them online. I have some experience with repairing electronics myself so repairing myself is the only viable option.

It was working fine and an app was being upgraded, and it died suddenly. The battery would have been more than 30%, and the charging cable wasn't connected. Since then, it doesn't turn on and neither does the notification LED turn on when I connect charger. I have tried the 2-minute battery reset procedure, and different combinations of volume key + power key. Only the very first attempt at 2-minute procedure had made it vibrate, but since then it hasn't responded in any way to any of that.

I tried connecting it to PC (Linux only for now) and the first time it shows this output in dmesg:

Code:
new high-speed USB device number 124 using ehci-pci
New USB device found, idVendor=0fce, idProduct=ddde
New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
Product: QHSUSB__BULK
Manufacturer: Qualcomm CDMA Technologies MSM
However, if I disconnect the cable and connect again, I get this :

Code:
new high-speed USB device number 3 using ehci-pci
device descriptor read/64, error -110
A quick search suggests that USB error is for exceeding power allowance for USB port. The error goes away if I disconnect the battery , connect it and then connect with USB again.

I have tested with a USB power meter, and the phone consumes 0.08 - 0.11A if I disconnect the battery. And 0.90 - 0.93A if battery is connected. Battery's voltage is at about 3.7v disconnected.

I can't find any schematic for the model, which might have been helpful. I did find 3 PDFs related to service of the phone, but they don't much useful information. Mostly stuff like "If circuit open / phone dead, replace this".

Any help, tips and advice will be greatly appreciated.