GSM-Forum

GSM-Forum (https://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/)
-   iMac, Macbook Pro, Macbook Air (https://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f814/)
-   -   To upgrade OS-X or not? (https://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f814/upgrade-os-x-not-1935903/)

PhillT 04-08-2015 08:37

To upgrade OS-X or not?

I am still using 10.6.8 and am really wondering just how long that can go on.

It is just so comfortable to drive, and does all I want it to, but I guess eventually, there will be issues around software etc. but right now I am hard pressed to find reason/s to upgrade.

If there were substantial reasons to upgrade, then I am left wondering how well my current system will cope.

It is a late '09, 2.26ghz, with 8gb ram and a 120gb SSD plus external HDDs.

It copes really well with 10.6.8, certainly not slow by any means, but with a newer OS???
I can no doubt upgrade ram a bit more, but will that suffice?
:confused::confused:

Vancix 07-05-2015 21:07

My friend updated this to Yousmite. After few days deleted and formatted hdd. He has snowleopard again and seems to be very happy :)

OSEL 09-01-2015 01:47

If you upgrade then you will have access to latest features and security elements

PhillT 09-01-2015 06:24

Wife upgraded to Yosemite a week or so ago. All I can say is that I am glad I did not, and I am unlikely to.
If I am forced to, I thing Mountain Lion would be as far as I would go.
After much reading, and from my own experience, Snow Leopard is the best O.S. Apple ever wrote, and are ever likely to write.
Mountain Lion is the next best.

SpicyPepper 11-25-2015 10:22

Do it! I'm thinking of changing my hard driver to SSD. How did you put the IOS software into the new hard drive?

PhillT 11-25-2015 11:05

Well it is a few weeks now since wifey upgraded (??) to Yosemite, and she is still having issues, especially with networking.
I am sitting on S.L. for now, maybe go to M.L. one day.

SpicyPepper, she did it online, play store I think.

netproteam 12-01-2015 22:24

Not upgrade. OSx gos bad every new version.

sergeymkl 01-11-2016 02:08

Mavericks (10.9) is quite decent, as long as it's supported.

chris920216 01-11-2016 10:13

You should upgrade, there are a lot new features like fonts and some detail in new Safari.

Ar9avv 03-27-2016 18:53

slow and laggy the new software is dont upgrade im in process of downgrading it
snow leapard is the best.

PhillT 03-28-2016 02:07

Well, i am still with Snow Leopard, and still loving it.
Wife went to Yosemite, and had so many issues which were never properly resolved, she has now gone backwards to Mavericks and is happy once more.
When I am eventually forced to upgrade, Mavericks will be my next move,....unless Apple come up with an O.S. that is as good or better than S.L.
They seem to now think that it is better to have a "NEW" O.S. than a GOOD O.S. which is what was one of Microsofts biggest problems.

boknoy 04-02-2016 10:09

same here very slow ferformance. whats wrong?

Desirat 04-20-2016 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillT (Post 11720962)
Well, i am still with Snow Leopard, and still loving it.
Wife went to Yosemite, and had so many issues which were never properly resolved, she has now gone backwards to Mavericks and is happy once more.
When I am eventually forced to upgrade, Mavericks will be my next move,....unless Apple come up with an O.S. that is as good or better than S.L.
They seem to now think that it is better to have a "NEW" O.S. than a GOOD O.S. which is what was one of Microsofts biggest problems.

One problem with lattest versions os OS X is the display drivers.
Can't recall if its from mavericks or from yosemite, but one of this 2 OS's install graphic drivers that can push the nvidia or ati chip to fail.

Somehow it must remove restrictions from vga perfomance and if the vga chip is one of those problematic ones (most definitely is), you'll start to get gpu panics, even if only browsing the web with chrome.
Chrome browser forces the macbooks with dual vga (discrete or integrated) to use the integrated (nvidia or ati).

Take this into consideration. Check online for your specific model to see if you get results about this vga problem.

Otherwise, on my mid 2010 15" using the latest OS is very nice. But i've been getting this vga panic a lot, since yosemite.

Also, if your going away from SL, you will lose the ability to run old apps, no roseta translator for this apps.

Unlocks_Unlimited 05-06-2016 10:30

I'm on OS 10.11.4 El Capitan - Really loving it. But I guess it depends on what your computer can handle. Seems like your specs are pretty good minus the tiny SDD ;)

Amr.OKa 06-15-2016 20:15

to be honor
upgrade if you installed ram and ssd
without ram and ssd very slow
BR