GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > GSM & CDMA Phones / Tablets Software & Hardware Area > iPhone ,iPod & iPad (Apple Inc. Products) > iPhone 2 / iPhone 3G / iPhone 3GS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2009, 05:42   #1 (permalink)

Member: 796992
Thanks Meter: 6
NOOB Help!!! Am I playing the waiting game now?

I am completely lost...Please help.
I Just picked this IPhone up on Wednesday 11/25/09 and it is my first IPhone.
Specs are as follows:
IPhone 3Gs Ver 3.1.2 - Firmware 05-11-07 - and yes, over 40 (actually xxx43___) in Serial Number.

I jailbroke the phone once following several sets of instructions on here and using Blackra1n and can't remember how I did it. I was never able to SSH into the phone or install any if the .ipa files. I had Cydia Up and running but had made so many mistakes that I wanted a clean install so I did a restore using "ITunes Restore to Factory".

I am having no problems with Blackra1n and it appears to jailbreak fine but when i try and install Cydia or Rock this time, they time out with error codes. I am using a wifi connection to my home router which i know is active. Needless to say, since I can't install Cydia or Rock, I can't go any further to try and SSH or install any of the ipa files.

I have also tried to install a custom rom (iPhone2,1_3.1.2_7D11_Custom_Restore.ipsw) which also errors out.

Is there anything that can be done at this point or am I in that waiting game everyone is talking about?

I was able to get Snow to finally install ok but still no Cydia or Rock. Once snow installed, I noticed a significant reduction in my reception as well.
I finally just did a factory restore again and am awaiting instructions from anyone here.
Any Enlightenment would be appreciated...
TIA
TkoKid
Old 12-01-2009, 17:15   #2 (permalink)

Does anyone have anykind of insight for me???
Old 12-01-2009, 18:29   #3 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 682885
Thanks Meter: 69
blackra1n

what you have done so far is ok,

i think you should reinstall blackra1n from their website,

do full restore flash of your iphone, i assume that you can activate it by having no problems.

then install cydia only from the blackra1n app,

delete blackra1n app once cydia is installed successfully and from cydia install blacksn0w hopefully work for u.

i think maybe your software of blackra1n is no good do a fresh download of it again.

let me know what happens.

if this helps pls say thanks.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:30   #4 (permalink)

I have reinstalled blackra1n as requested....no luck....cydia still times out. snow still times out... done restore to factory default....tried to install cydia....time out...snow ... time out.....factory restore...waiting on instructions.....

Thank you for the reply but still no luck....thank you again do you have any further instructions? totally happy to keep trying
Old 12-10-2009, 02:31   #5 (permalink)

Well....I finally figured it out

After getting the error on the Cydia Install time after time for about 2 weeks, I ran across a thread on another site that mentioned something about the iphone not being compatible with the security on his Lynksys router. Wouldn't you know it...The solution was disabling security in the router till i found out what was compatible with the IPhone. Once I disabled security in my router, both Cydia & Rock installed extremely quickly and the phone is now Jailbroke. I then played a little more with the router and found out that WEP was the only security I could make work with my phone. I SSH'd into the phone and made the necessary changes I needed to make (IE: Root PW etc...) and am a VERY happy camper now.

Now ... something I need to mention is that EVERYTHING on the phone appeared to show that the phone was connected to my home network. It wasn't till I installed an app that was using the internet intensively and that app worked outside away from my home but the minute I walked into my house, the app quit working. It should have worked better as I was showing connected to my home network.

If you are having problems, I can verify that everything absolutely works as it has been stated on this site many times. If your having problems, make sure you log into your router and verify that you are in fact connected to your network and not just showing it on your phone.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:13   #6 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 518708
Thanks Meter: 67
hy!

if you want you can try to upgrade the firmware of your router. i had similar problems, but after upgrading my router it worked fine with every kind of security. it was a netgear router at my home, but i think itīs worth a try also with your linksys...

best regards
The Following User Says Thank You to desteufelsbrut For This Useful Post: