GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > GSM & CDMA Phones / Tablets Software & Hardware Area > Various > Siemens-Benq > Siemens Hardware Repair Area

Siemens Hardware Repair Area all about Hardware Repairing you can get if here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2007, 02:23   #1 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 50673
Thanks Meter: 2
S45 audio come and go randomly

Hallo everybody,

I've 4 old but very good kept S-ME45 that have developed almost contemporary this strange defect:
sometime and randomly the audio (ring or voice) disappear and after sometime reapper by itself.

In detail, sometime (not always), when I start or recieve a call I can hear the person voice, but after a variable period of time (n seconds or minutes), audio simply disappear... phone is working normal except this problem.
Sometime audio reappear in few seconds, othertime no, and I've to start another call hoping defect will not be present.
Phone can work normally for days, or can have a day in which each call is affected... and maybe next day works perfectly.

I'm really confused about this strange behaviour ...
please, help me beacuse I still love and use my S-ME45es!

BR

Lalo
Old 10-12-2007, 09:35   #2 (permalink)

Member: 179887
Thanks Meter: 0
@Lalo:
As I've known today this problem is related to your operator.

Some users told about the same problem in Siemens-Club forum one year ago (in Russian, of course).

In particular, Evgeniy11 wrote (briefly):

The cause is the base station is trying to send AMR coded audio data to phone.
The equipment should be compatible with phones without AMR support but it doesn't work correctly.
S/ME45 doesn't support AMR codec because the phones with AMR support were produced since 2003, for example, x55 series.
As a result we hear a silence.
2 solutions are possible - make AMR support in S/ME45 (what is improbable) or "teach" a phone to correctly process AMR codec with base station.
Perhaps, that is provided by the patch "68th block of EEPROM".
The S45i with original firmware has no problem with AMR.
Let's check these assumptions in practice.
(end of quote)
Old 10-13-2007, 05:53   #3 (permalink)
No Life Poster

@Danilus:
Thanks for very usefull info, my friend!
And say thanks to Evgeniy11 from me also.

I've 2 original S45i, so I can copy this 68 eefull block, called ARM unlock, to my misfunctioning S-ME45es, and post results.
I need some testing time because problem, as I told, doesn't show itself always.
I hope this solution will work!
Did it work for your Siemens club users?

Anyway, 2 things are not totally clear to me:
1.you said that defect is operator BTS related, but I've tried with other operator and defect was still present (or at least it seem to me, didn't test a lot).
Anyway maybe you have right, I've read that my operator has changed in these months it's BTS from Ericsson to Nokias one... could be this the problem.

2.You said that all S-ME45 used with that operator BTS should be affected... but not all my S-ME45, with normal or i fw, have shown the defect. Some still work perfectly with same operator and same BTS. Why?
Anyway I'll check their 68 block and try to find an answer...

BR

Lalo
Old 10-14-2007, 09:31   #4 (permalink)

@Lalo:
Please don't hurry to use that block. Tomorrow I'll tell the whole process in detail.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:47   #5 (permalink)

@Lalo:
All the information is taken from Siemens-Club FAQ topic
S/ME45 -> S/ME45i (i-onization)

I don't think that the following process is not known to you, I just write it as is.

Respect to Dormidont for a development and Click for a localization.

a) Download this archive with 2 files inside.
b) Download and run Siemens EEPROM Tool, check is the COM-port correct.
If Siemens EEPROM Tool displays an error message, run once
necessary components registration program.
c) Click the "Init" button in a program ("Ready" is replaced by "Scanning" at the bottom of the program window)
d) Shortly and clearly press the phone red button ("Service mode ready" is displayed at the bottom of the program window, information about the phone - IMEI etc. is displayed at the window center, "Service mode" message is out on the switched off phone screen)
e) Press "Load" in the left side of the program, find binary file of the 68th block, choose "Open".
In the left window you have: 68_EElite_1_37_GPRS disable(fix). Note, a folder with 68.bin file must contain also 68.bid, the accompaniator to a .bin file.
f) Press a bottom arrow pointed from the left to the right in a window center, then 68th block is copied to the right window. Note: the block in the right window must be selected else EEPROM will damaged.
g) Press the right bottom button "Save selected" (not Save all!!!). As the block is small, status bar shows a quick progress.
h) Press "Exit" at the bottom in the left, "Service mode" message on the phone screen disappeared. Close the program and switch on the phone.
(end of quote)

I don't know what does mean a "localization" from Click.
As I understood the 68th block right here is not related to original S45i firmware one.
It will be much better if you will directly ask Dormidont and Click about details.

As regards to mentioned topic of Siemens-Club.org in my first post:

Some users told that a new 68th block removed a bug with a silence.
Some ones told it is necessary to use 900 MHz channels only.

Note: All the users told about i-onized S/ME45, not original S45i.

BTW, I have an original S45i, i-onization was never necessary, so EEPROM is original, and I have no problems during a calls.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:00   #6 (permalink)
No Life Poster

@Danilus:

Thanks for your precise translation of the detailed process and respect to Dormidont and Click for their works.
As you supposed, I already know it and I have made exactly the same you wrote just after having read your first post, using my S45i eelite 68 block.
So, I've made it 6 days ago, and till now problem seems solved... so your solution worked perfectly for me.
I'm very happy about it... I've restart using ME45i as my principal phone

About your questions:

1."localization" by Click:
I think that means that Click have localized in which eeprom block there was the problem (= in 68 eelite block), and that Dormidont have developed the corrected eeprom 68 block (= byte at offset 8 from FF to 00)

2.eeprom block in S45 vs S45i:
they are the same... different may be in their contents.
So 68 block exsists in S45 and in S45i.. difference is in byte 8=AMR coded audio receiving capability, setted FF (=1111b=function on) in S45 and 00 (0000b=function off) in S45i.
I've cheched out, all Siemens with AMR decoding capability (x6x,x7x) has FF on that byte, others with no AMR decoding capability (x4x,x5x,x60) have FF like S45 or 00 like S45i or miss that eeprom block (x3x,SL45).

I personally think that Siemens firmware developers have inserted the 68block for the first time in S45 (so in the new platform K45), and have "forgotten" to set off that byte in eeprom, at least in the most S45.
Noone of the 25 S-ME45 I had in my hands have 00... so noone should work properly with new BTS.
I still have to investigate if the ME-S45es not affected that I have have FF... I've gifted them to friends, so I've to ask them back to look into their eeprom.
I'll do as soon as possible

WBR

Lalo
Old 10-23-2007, 04:16   #7 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalo.lerry View Post

I personally think that Siemens firmware developers have inserted the 68block for the first time in S45 (so in the new platform K45), and have "forgotten" to set off that byte in eeprom, at least in the most S45.
Noone of the 25 S-ME45 I had in my hands have 00... so noone should work properly with new BTS.
I still have to investigate if the ME-S45es not affected that I have have FF... I've gifted them to friends, so I've to ask them back to look into their eeprom.
Uhm... no, now I've investigated a little and found out that the good working S-ME45 I have are all with normal fw, not upgraded to i.
So:
normal ME-S45 have eelite block 68, byte 8 set to FF and work correctly with new BTS
normal S45i have eelite block 68, byte 8 set to 00 and work correctly with new BTS
ME-S45 upgraded to S45i fw need to have eelite block 68, byte 8 setted to 00 to work correctly with new BTS

My final conclusion is:
normal S-ME45 has eelite block 68, but normal fw don't use it or use in correct way (not requesting AMR decoded audio to BTS).
S45i has eelite block 68, and use different routines than S45 fw... maybe in i fw there are traces of first developing step for AMR support (ARM request to BTS capability) that need to be setted off, since AMR support wasn't complitely implemented in phone.
This is my opinion... need more i fw studies to be fully confermed... but I've no time to make it.
So, this is the end, an happy ending.
Thank for your help Danilius
WBR

Lalo
Old 11-18-2012, 17:32   #8 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 87188
Thanks Meter: 227
Thank you for so many years after I came across this and managed to solve the problem:-))

The phone works perfectly.
Galaxy S2 after this I will be using.
And that's no joke!
A customized ME45 is still the best!