View Single Post
Old 04-12-2005, 17:43   #329 (permalink)
adancau
Freak Poster

Member: 67838
Thanks Meter: 0
Would it be possible to implement groups (as per the newer siemens phones - i.e. friends, family, business etc.)? It would be simpler if VIP is not just a 0/1 flag, maybe replace the checkbox with a number (0=normal; 1=friends; 2=family etc.), or maybe a selector. This could be used to enhance the view address book by group option, and would make life much easier for people with lots of contacts.
Would be nice for example to display address book as a list of folders (groups, as in the card explorer) that contain contacts.

Later finds:

from what I see in a doc describing the SL45 address book structure, for VIP:
This field SL uses to group, sort and locate records. It consists of 6 2-byte pairs
LSB of the first pair describes a group type and has the following values: 0x30 – Business card, 0x31 – VIP, 0x32 – no group
All the rest (excl ending) is a copy of the object’s surname (Field 2, 7 chars). If no surname entered, last 2 bytes take 0x77

Maybe use 0x33, 0x34 etc for other groups, it's clear that when sorting address book by group, contacts are sorted by ascending VIP value (0x30 Business card first, 0x31 VIP second and 0x32 the rest).

Could anyone with patching experience take a look into this?

EDIT:
Would be interesting to know what happens if we modify these bytes manually for a few contacts in the address book files on the MMC. If my prediction is correct, using 0x33 in the VIP field as per the doc above should place the entry at the end of the address book list when sorting by group. I will try to do that when I get home

EDIT2:
Am attaching the address book structure doc, in case anyone else would like to try something and doesn't have it. Erase the .doc from the file name, extract zip, yadda yadda yadda, you know the drill
Attached Files
File Type: doc SL45_001_v10_AddressBook_Structure.zip.doc (34.9 KB, 20 views)

Page generated in 0.09383 seconds with 8 queries