View Single Post
Old 02-12-2011, 05:13   #1 (permalink)
Larry Sabo

Member: 1507205
Thanks Meter: 0
Advice for noobies just starting out?

Greetings,

Any advice for a small computer repair business interested in doing reballing? (I am not interested in just reflowing boards.) I've read all the posts here, regularly frequent many computer repair forums, and have viewed innumerable videos on the subject, but would appreciate some guidance on taking the next step in this business. I'm a retired electrical engineer and do component-level repairs but am obviously not a cadidate for a Jovy RE-7500 just yet, so I hope I won't be dismissed out of hand. :-)

There are many technicians like me, who have hot air stations, preheater and are trying to decide what they need next to get going. Do I need an 80/90mm bga station and a set of stencils? Are silver/stainless direct-heat stencils (not the ones that use solder paste) better, and do they require a holder/jig of some sort? What stencils/kits would be appropriate for someone just starting out? Is it even worth getting started, given that laptops with the problematic nVidia chips are obsolete now anyway? Not to mention that you guys are probably taking good care of the diminishing market anyway.

Your thoughts and advice will be appreciated.

Page generated in 0.10033 seconds with 7 queries