View Single Post
Old 07-19-2013, 21:57   #1 (permalink)
Mstaples

Member: 1982267
Thanks Meter: 0
Can you guys help with extrex 20?

I had no idea this GPS arena was so complicated and so involved. I recently bought an extrex 20 and I am have a very difficult time trying to figure out to make it work. I'm really on the verge of sending it back.

I want to use it for backpacking. It's user interface seem horrible. The map programs I have for peanuts on my iPhone -- Gaia, Everytrail, Trimble -- all seem like they have at least the same features... and maybe more, and probably with a wider screen.

So I figured the way to plan trips is to buy something like ExpertGPS or some other desktop software, then just download it. But ExpertGPS says they won't send "scanned" maps (whatever that is), only vectored maps, and that vecotred maps are inferior. They recommend some other software to work with Garmin.

But I'm going to do all of my planning on desktop software, then expoert to the GPS, why would I want the etrex 20??? Why not just download into my iphone?

Anyone have any suggestions here? My thinking is to send the etrex back and think about buying ExpertGPS. Does anyone know if iphone Gaia or Trimble will import files from desktop map programs?

M

Page generated in 0.07470 seconds with 7 queries