GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > GSM & CDMA Phones / Tablets Software & Hardware Area > Nokia > Nokia Hardware & Hardware Repair

Nokia Hardware & Hardware Repair all what you need for Hardware Repairing for Nokia Phones. Before writing any thread here try to check the Frequently Asked Questions Section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2007, 09:36   #1 (permalink)

Member: 482633
Thanks Meter: 0
Question Reballing (reball) Phones Reasons Why????

Hi all,

I have been searching the net looking for the causes that make a mobile need to be reballed and I am a little lost on this reballing IC's subject, what I would like to know is why does this need to be done and what causes the problem needing to have this done to a handset?

I have just started using a JAF Box and I guess I am a little concerned using it now wondering if using the JAF Box could damage the phone in such a way it would need to be reballed.

So can anyone give me a little more info on why phones need to be reballed the causes and what not to do so this can be avoided? Thanks in advance for the help.

Kind Regards,

Kevin
Old 05-01-2007, 09:44   #2 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 333359
Thanks Meter: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner353 View Post
Hi all,

I have been searching the net looking for the causes that make a mobile need to be reballed and I am a little lost on this reballing IC's subject, what I would like to know is why does this need to be done and what causes the problem needing to have this done to a handset?

I have just started using a JAF Box and I guess I am a little concerned using it now wondering if using the JAF Box could damage the phone in such a way it would need to be reballed.

So can anyone give me a little more info on why phones need to be reballed the causes and what not to do so this can be avoided? Thanks in advance for the help.

Kind Regards,

Kevin
Mate phone are not reballed, its IC is the one being reballed. Why, dont have good contact from IC to board.
Old 05-01-2007, 16:06   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhick View Post
Mate phone are not reballed, its IC is the one being reballed. Why, dont have good contact from IC to board.
Hi Lhick,

Thanks for the reply, I understand the IC is the part that gets reballed and not the phone, I have been doing a little reading about it and I am wondering how these IC's get damaged to have to be reballed, what do people do to cause the problem, I guess I am wondering can the IC's be damaged playing with my JAF Box connected to the phone, or are they damaged from more physical abuse? Thanks.

Regards,

Kevin
Old 05-01-2007, 20:45   #4 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 236929
Thanks Meter: 12
In my experiance either water damage,that can cause corrosion between
1 in 150,quarter of a mm solder balls on one uem9proccessor/flash ic ect)
on a phone(which can happen quite quickly!)
to disconnect from a main board or a nasty knock can do the same
(not corrosion but a dry joint,thus disconnecting).
This dosent always respond in a dead or damaged phone,,,,but
like i said,,in my experience this 60% of the time it can
screw communication when flashing,
an then resulting in a dead phone .
So check all else b4 flashing anyway
jaf as a rule is a great tool if u know what your doin
although there has been some cable grief of late
Old 05-02-2007, 04:05   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
In my experiance either water damage,that can cause corrosion between
1 in 150,quarter of a mm solder balls on one uem9proccessor/flash ic ect)
on a phone(which can happen quite quickly!)
to disconnect from a main board or a nasty knock can do the same
(not corrosion but a dry joint,thus disconnecting).
This dosent always respond in a dead or damaged phone,,,,but
like i said,,in my experience this 60% of the time it can
screw communication when flashing,
an then resulting in a dead phone .
So check all else b4 flashing anyway
jaf as a rule is a great tool if u know what your doin
although there has been some cable grief of late
Hi dandylion,

Thank for the reply, its allot clearer now, I know only too well about this JAF Cable problem you speak of, I started last night modding my BB5 Cables and with some of them I am glad I took them apart because there were a few with solder bridges on the pins and crushed wires under the housing screw posts which could have been disastrous had I plugged them into a phone, I think I will check all Cables once prior to using them on handsets, cheers.

Regards,

Kevin