GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > Non GSM/Mobile Related Forums > Bluetooth > Bluetooth-Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2004, 01:17   #1 (permalink)
Crazy Poster

Member: 44457
Thanks Meter: 1
MS Q323183 Bluetooth Patch for XP-SP1 'vs' MS XP-SP2 BT

Well, I've been doing some comparing of the MS driver that came on the XP-SP1 CD (the same driver that comes with the current MS keyboards and Mice) and the driver that comes with the RC1 release of XP-SP2...

I've noticed a few differences. The XP SP2 Driver actually works! Well, it does with my phone! The Q323183 driver only offers a "DUN" service - which isn't veyr useful to me. The SP2 driver includes a "Nokia PC Suite" service and a "COM Port" service. Using the "Nokia PC Suite" service I've succesfully synchronised my 6310i with outlook, and modified some of its contents with Nokia Phone Editor. I haven't yet tested any other software but I'm pretty optimistic about it.

The SP2 version also adds a nice system tray icon, and replaces the former control panel applet with a new applet with a few more options.

If this does work for others as it seems to for me then it will save a LOT of hassle with the widcomm drivers for a lot of people. I suspect however that the new MS Drivers won't include all the services that many people want. Infact I can only see the COM Port service and PC Suite service (which is a com port based service), so people wanting other features may struggle.

There does seem to be some mention of a PAN (Personal Area Network) but I haven't had chance to test this yet.

If anyone has any other info about SP2 Bluetooth Support then please let the rest of us know! Cheers
Old 03-26-2004, 23:52   #2 (permalink)

Member: 54476
Thanks Meter: 0
I've been working on the SP2 BT drivers for a few weeks now. They definatly do seam a lot better than the existing patch for MS users. However there do still seam to be problems....

1) Using Serial ports, only 1 port ever gets added no matter how many devices you try and make it work through [even tho it suggests otherwise]. All my devices go to COM21 which means it causes some software not to work properly [can't make 2 apps listen on 1 com port].

2) Serial port is unreliable. You quite often loose access to the port. I have found that many pieces of software have problems where they can no-longer connect to the port until you restart [althougth this may be a non-SP2 problem].

3) PAN network support is pretty much useless. I tried making it work, but it turns out it cannot be used to make a BT PAN network, but rather only connect to it [VERY annoying - Ģ50 for a bluetooth hub].

However, it does make the bluetooth dongle work quite nicly with P800, P900, Palm m505 [with bluetooth adapter]. File transfer works, as does serial port accesses remotely [although as I said above only just].

leemperor, you said you had a new tray icon for it. I never got that... what does it look like, and what does it do?
Old 03-28-2004, 12:14   #3 (permalink)
Crazy Poster

looks quite similar to the widcomm system tray icon. a little bluetooth icon. It gives you access to the control panel options and various other bits. see screenshot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg msbt.jpg (14.4 KB, 77 views)
Old 03-29-2004, 02:43   #4 (permalink)

Ta for reply leemperor....

huh, I didn't get that. I might give removing all the MS crud and putting it in again another try.

Did you already have the MS stuff installed when you installed SP2 leemperor?
Old 03-29-2004, 15:20   #5 (permalink)
Crazy Poster

I did a fresh install from an XP CD with SP1 slipstreamed into it. Then I installed SP2. Didn't have any other patched installed before I installed SP2

call me Jon if you like, its shorter
Old 03-31-2004, 02:11   #6 (permalink)

Member: 60538
I've just installed windows XP SP2, but you said that "The SP2 driver includes a "Nokia PC Suite" servic", I could not found where the service was.
Please tell me how to use "Nokia PC suite" service . Thank you!
Old 04-01-2004, 04:13   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwu
I've just installed windows XP SP2, but you said that "The SP2 driver includes a "Nokia PC Suite" servic", I could not found where the service was.
Please tell me how to use "Nokia PC suite" service . Thank you!
Can't say I noticed that..... There certainly wasn't anything in my All Programs menu. On the plus side, I have just managed to get the WIDCOMMs to finally work on my system [yay], and everything is a lot better now [although it did require a format reinstall as I screwed windows when I was removing the old MS bluetooth rubbish]
Old 04-01-2004, 15:05   #8 (permalink)
Crazy Poster

I have a 6310i and after the MS XP SP2 drivers found the phone they offered me a "Nokia PC Suite" service. I already had PC Suite installed.
Old 06-02-2004, 17:36   #9 (permalink)

Member: 55699
Download link please .........
Old 06-21-2004, 15:17   #10 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 8
Thanks Meter: 21
Nokia PC Suite: www.nokia.com
MS XP SP2: www.microsoft.com

BR