GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > GSM & CDMA Phones / Tablets Software & Hardware Area > Various > Siemens-Benq > Siemens-Benq Flash Patching > x4x, x5x Flashpatching

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2005, 19:08   #1 (permalink)

Member: 145454
Thanks Meter: 0
Complete Beginner Who Wants To Learn!

Hello all,

I am a new SL45 owner - in fact I have only had the handset for a week or two. I came across this forum and was amazed at just how much this phone is capable of doing.

Having trawled through this entire forum and done masses of research on Google, I still am very confused with the basics of modifying this mobile.

Could anyone, please, take five minutes and give me a very simple explanation on how to get the best out of this phone. I would love to know what firmware to use (I gather v56 is the most widely used), and I would especially like to know how I can get some of these amazing modifications (patches?) I read about in this forum onto the phone.

Any help would be very gratefully received. I cannot wait to start seeing the full capabilities of this phone. I just need a push in the right direction to get me going.

Thank you anyone who finds the time to reply.

Regards,

James (Bristol, UK)
Old 05-17-2005, 19:45   #2 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 27745
Very short version:

Buy a no name datacable
Backup your phone (use a tool like vklay or unisiemens)
Search for Software Winswup v56 and flash it to your mobile
Download Siemens Picture Search
Do some experiments with some gfx patches
Do some experiments with patches shown in the sticky above
Enjoy...

trustkill (Kassel, not UK)
Old 05-17-2005, 20:26   #3 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 91303
First of all you need to learn how to backup your firmware and restore it in case of any trouble.
Second step is bigger because you need to read all the patches available, and think what you would like to apply and experiment. You must remember that "not in one day Rome was built" so be patient and apply patches one by one and chack if the phone does not crash. Make a chronological list of all applied patches - in this way you will be able to identify problematic patches.
Well the rest is up to you so get to work and GOOL LUCK
Old 05-17-2005, 22:15   #4 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 60520
If you have SL45 with sync station, it's (in most cases) possible to do flashing and patching with the station - that saves buying an additional noname cable.
For testing if sync station is able to flash: switch off the phone, plug it into sync station. The station has to be connected both with PC and with power supply. Then start the software "vklay" (version 2.6 or 2.7 is good choice, search for it with google), select "SL45 Test point" in list of mobiles, click on refresh and press red button short (mobile mustn't switch on). If it runs, you'll see it...
Old 05-18-2005, 04:32   #5 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 66040
Thanks Meter: 14
Welcome to the SL45 community! Try the patches posted at SLIKv56: Flash patches.. Dont be afraid of killing your phone just as long as you have made a Full Backup of your FW first. SL45 is a great phone to work on with all the patches posted by the Masters. Also, dont forget to thank them for their great work
Old 05-18-2005, 08:40   #6 (permalink)
Freak Poster

@Charlie, I will thank you for your paches THANK YOU!
@jm-darcy, one more tip from me - when you start flashing the phone turn off all other applications because sometimes when I browsed the net and flashed I got error messages and the whole proces - of restoring the firmware for example - takes more time.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:00   #7 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 66040
Thanks Meter: 14
@Froster: Thanks but my stupid patches are only modified patches of the Patch Masters' works. We should thank THEM
Old 05-18-2005, 12:12   #8 (permalink)

Hey,

Thanks for your help.

Right - I think I've broken it - bloody typical.

I did as rc-flitzer said and put phone in sync station, with power and ran V_Klay v.2.7. I went to SL45 (test point) and made the red box go green

I then thought I should back up so I went to the flasher tab and clicked the read memory button and saved it onto my desktop. The file on my desktop is called "SL45_(Test_point)_2005-05-18_07-20-43_From_00" and it is 6.00 MB in size.

Now, when I try and turn on the phone it says "Wrong Software"

I tried to restore this backup using the write memory button with the file on the desktop and it goes through a proceedure that takes some 12 minutes and says erasing, and writing alot on the progress bar. But still, when I switch on it says "Wrong Software"

Please help - didn't think I'd break it that easily!!

Thank you in advance.

James

What the hell did I do and can I rectify the situation - scared I've lost everything!
Old 05-18-2005, 13:03   #9 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Member: 93204
@jm-darcy, seeing another "Wrong software" question makes people really crazy. There is Search button on the top of the page - use it to find the answer.
Old 05-18-2005, 16:09   #10 (permalink)
Freak Poster

@G_spot, I wish you all the best but if you ever ask a simmilarly common question I wish you to receive a simmilar answer.

@James, when you see "Wrong SDoftware" this means that you need to change your IMEI. You can do it by KSIE program or Freia - I did not use it so I cannot tell you any details about it.

As far as KSIE is concerned you need to select the proper phone model and then press Security-> Unlock/Change IMEI. Write in the given space your IMEI - you can find it under the battery on the phone housing or on the warranty card. Note that you write in one digit less than it is shown in the original IMEI - it is just as it should be, so don't worry.
Well, that would be all. Good luck!

Regards

Froster - Poland
Old 05-18-2005, 16:53   #11 (permalink)

Thank you for your reply Froster.

I have now sorted that problem with your help.

G Spot - I understand that as an experienced user, my question will seem trivial to you. I did search the forum and read all of the posts with the words "Wrong Software" in. But, to someone who does not have any experience with the phone and the patching and had never heard of programs such as Freia, it is all very daunting.

To someone with my lack of knowledge, most of the posts in this forum seem to be in a different language and their seems very limited beginner instructions. So, I beg, please be patient while I catch up!

So, now that I have a working phone, which mode in V_Klay should I start playing around with the patches. I see that there are modes such as SL45 Test Point and SL45 Turn on.

Could anyone please give me an example of introducing one patch to the phone so that I can play around with the others?

Once again, thank you to anyone who has posted in this thread. You never know, it may prevent other people posting similar questions in the future!

Regards,

Jame
Old 05-18-2005, 18:23   #12 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Member: 93204
@Froster, you are right, as always.

@jm-darcy, sorry for that.

To apply patch to the phone, you have to
1. Run V-klay (don't do anything with phone now, keep it on the table)
2. Choose mode SL45 Bootcore Bug (try the others, you won't break anything)
3. Work with: phone
4. Set up the proper COM port
5. Open file with patch, or drag&drop it on the V-klay window
6. Press Apply patch (important: remember to keep all applied patches on disc in that form, you loaded it)
6. Turn off the phone and put it to the station
7. Wait for message window - in most cases it will be success info
8. Sometimes it will be question about creating the repair patch - press yes
9. After all - press this red box in V-klay to make it green, turn on the phone and be happy of new functionality
Old 05-18-2005, 19:30   #13 (permalink)
Freak Poster

I'll only add some info about this case when you receive an error message and V_klay asks you if it should make repair patch. When you apply graphical patches you don't need to worry about those errors because there are many patch authors and they may already have different from the original data in the phone and they will not interfere with the firmware later. HOWEVER, in the case of conventional patches you need to be careful when you get that dilogue. I advise you not to apply patches which collide with anything in the phone because they may later cause problems or even unable the phone to be turned on. That's why G_spot has written about making a register of all patches applied - that is crucial for keeping your phone firmware tidy
Old 05-19-2005, 09:06   #14 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 60520
With a bit experience you can also recognize what a graphical patch is and what a conventional one.
Keeping patches (and repair patches if made) is necassary for undoing things later. But I suggest to use repair patches only short after applying the "bad" patch (before any other patch) - otherwise it can do chaos in firmware.
But at all: if some patch somehow messed up your phone's flash, there's always backup solution. It just needs time...
Old 05-19-2005, 14:29   #15 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Just to give you a better insight in the matter of patch kinds take a look at this link: http://www.eselka.tu.org.pl/jp/patche_g.php where yu can find somew graphical patches and as far as "conventional" - as I called them - patches are concerned you can find them in the link pasted in the 5th post by Charlielao.