GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > GSM & CDMA Phones / Tablets Software & Hardware Area > Various > PalmOS /HP and others

PalmOS /HP and others Palm, Treo, Sony CLIÉ, Tungsten, Zire, Handspring and other Palm Operating System based Devic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2008, 12:33   #14416 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 718168
Sonork: Treo650 507mhz, Nokia5800
Thanks Meter: 441

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkguy2k View Post
Is there a program that helps you transfer programs already installed in the palm device to the sd card? I'm running low on space in my device and would like to transfer a lot of things to my microsd. I tried looking for a program like that, but I got too many different unrelated threads. Thank you for the help.
There are apps that have files that grow. If you use zlauncher, you should do a "update all shortcuts" to make the zlauncher.pdb files smaller. Theres also a zlauncher file that grows (when i descovered this it was at 3mb) and can be delete and no problem, its called zl_CardProgramLaunchedDB.

Also if you use opera mini and use java just for this app, you can move all java files to the opera mini folder on your sd card (only do this if you are using linkstart, powerrun, zlink or zlauncher move to card feature). You can also use the vacoom feature in "uninstall manager" to clean java left over files.

You can clean out you phone history, in takephone, on the call log screen, purge.

You can also purge todos that were completed.

You can purg your sms database that grows.

You can use "cleanup" to find lost files from old apps.

You should always use "uninstall manager" to delete apps, its cleans better not leave left over files
The Following User Says Thank You to r_castro For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2008, 12:45   #14417 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkguy2k View Post
Thanks a lot eon. I downloaded both powerRun and linkstart. Both seemed to work great with small programs, but they both run extremely slow for programs with 10mb. I've downloaded several medical dictionaries from skyscape and all run slow with those programs. Is there a way to install skyscape programs on the memory card directly without having to installing it first to the device then using powerRun to run it? I've tried installing it directly to the device, but every time I do it it says some files are missing. Any advice? Thanks!
If you have zlauncher installed you already have this feature.

But anyway you have to run all apps on the PalmOS from main memory, not from the card.

You can make it a bit faster, first you have to format your card:
if smaller than 4gb: format d: /FS:FAT /A:32k
if bigger than 4gb: format d: /FS:FAT /A:16k

You may have this already.

Than you can over clock the card app and the app too.

I use pxa clocker (theres also lightspeed, dynaclock, etc...), on my treo 650 I clock it at 506 mhz, the apps starts more snappy (you should to a trial and error to see what clock is best for your device, reseting right away after each try). In your case, clock linkstat and the skyscap
Old 11-24-2008, 13:33   #14418 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Member: 894743
Sonork: h7n 3b2
Thanks Meter: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSaber View Post

I'm pretty sure Tower Mogul is a PPC game...and the Palm Treo700w/wx only...

RS
Well...better luck next time....

Thanks for the info.......
Old 11-24-2008, 14:31   #14419 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 383590
Thanks Meter: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_castro View Post
Why do you need it, doesn't chattermail, snappermail or versamail work better with gmail? What does Gmail app do better (i have been very courious with this)?
Need to get caught up on your Gmail? Try Gmail for mobile. Keep your conversations going and get to any message you want - anywhere you are - for free.
Smooth and responsive user interface
Powerful shortcut keys and intuitive menus
Search and find any Gmail message

You can also use IMAP to sync your Gmail with your phone's native email client.

Features

Multiple accounts. Quickly switch between your Google Apps email and Gmail from the same client.

Multiple Mobile Drafts. Jot your thoughts down, finish and send later.

Shortcut keys*. Undo, scroll up and down, archive, delete, refresh at the push of a button. See Menu/Help in the app.

Basic offline*. Compose and read your most recent email even when you're on the subway or plane.

Language Support. Gmail for mobile 2.0 is available in over 35 languages.

Message autorefresh. Gmail shows new messages in your inbox without you having to refresh the browser.

Address autocomplete. Gmail lets you enter long email addresses using just a few keystrokes.

View attachments. Open message attachments, including photos, Microsoft Word™ documents and PDF files.

Gmail goodness. Spam filtering, search, labels, filters, stars - and lots of storage space.

That is from the GMail Site .
Old 11-24-2008, 14:52   #14420 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_hat View Post
Need to get caught up on your Gmail? Try Gmail for mobile. Keep your conversations going and get to any message you want - anywhere you are - for free.
Smooth and responsive user interface
Powerful shortcut keys and intuitive menus
Search and find any Gmail message

You can also use IMAP to sync your Gmail with your phone's native email client.

Features

Multiple accounts. Quickly switch between your Google Apps email and Gmail from the same client.

Multiple Mobile Drafts. Jot your thoughts down, finish and send later.

Shortcut keys*. Undo, scroll up and down, archive, delete, refresh at the push of a button. See Menu/Help in the app.

Basic offline*. Compose and read your most recent email even when you're on the subway or plane.

Language Support. Gmail for mobile 2.0 is available in over 35 languages.

Message autorefresh. Gmail shows new messages in your inbox without you having to refresh the browser.

Address autocomplete. Gmail lets you enter long email addresses using just a few keystrokes.

View attachments. Open message attachments, including photos, Microsoft Word™ documents and PDF files.

Gmail goodness. Spam filtering, search, labels, filters, stars - and lots of storage space.

That is from the GMail Site .
Yes GMAIL is very good, I use it. But I'm talking about the java client gmail you were asking. What does it do better then a client app not made in java, like chattermail, snappermail, versamail which all can use gmails imap connection?

Most of the feature you mentioned on top are things that the gmail web app does or a normal mail client does. You know java on the palmOS is not very stable, why is it better?
Old 11-24-2008, 16:04   #14421 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 631598
Thanks Meter: 267
ZLauncher Back Images

Megamate and Eon
Thanks for the invaluable help. Got everything working with the back images.
Old 11-24-2008, 16:22   #14422 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 383590
Thanks Meter: 197
Quote:
Yes GMAIL is very good, I use it. But I'm talking about the java client gmail you were asking. What does it do better then a client app not made in java, like chattermail, snappermail, versamail which all can use gmails imap connection?

Most of the feature you mentioned on top are things that the gmail web app does or a normal mail client does. You know java on the palmOS is not very stable, why is it better?
Since I do not know much (correction - anything) about the chatter, snapper or versamail you mention. I have no way of answering your question. Actually, [to cut a long story short] I am an immigrant from Symbian OS based Nokia 3230, 6630 and N70 to the Palm platform. And while using the OperaMini and OperaMini MODs for browsing, I preferred the Java based GMail to keep a close watch on Mails. Symbian OS's allow a level of multi-tasking unimaginable, I think, on the Palm platform. For example, at the same time I would be browsing on the native browser, OperaMini, perhaps the latest OperaMini Beta version, checking mails on GMail app, chatting on the integrated messenger Talkonaut, sending and recieving SMS's and making and recieving calls. All fairly without other processes being closed or interrupted. So I do not get that comfort with Palm. But the nostalgia with GMail app on the Symbian OS tempted me to try it out. Needless to say, I am not very successful in this. The Java implementation is very buggy, with even OperaMini causing me to have to reset my phone.
Wonder if I make an sense.....
Old 11-24-2008, 16:38   #14423 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Member: 759214
Thanks Meter: 49
Well, finally I made it through this BIG THREAD.
You guys ROCK !! and my palm rocks too !!!

Thank you all !!!

By the way I need serials for CAKEMANIA and CAKEMANIA II

My HSID is CemTatar

Thanks in advance !!
Old 11-24-2008, 16:57   #14424 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 725754
Thanks Meter: 65
So my brothers centro did a soft reset on him. he lost all his text messages. I figured if I hotsync the phone, the texts would come back. They didnt

My question is this: Is there some sort of back up program that backs up texts messages, contatcs, basically the whole phone? Can it back up to the card? Would love to have something that if a soft/hard reset occurs, just click a button and everything gets restored from the card. Any ideas?
Old 11-24-2008, 17:47   #14425 (permalink)

Member: 781948
Thanks Meter: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsup1 View Post
Megamate and Eon
Thanks for the invaluable help. Got everything working with the back images.
That's great. If you haven't already got this, then check out this site for the zlauncher itreo theme (credit to Sjweise) + other free themes:
http://www.1src.com/freeware/fileinfo.php?id=1787

It's free to download but you have to register (free) with site. The itreo package includes theme, backimage, icon & sound.

Have fun
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Megamate123 For This Useful Post:
Show/Hide list of the thanked
Old 11-24-2008, 18:14   #14426 (permalink)

Member: 887345
Thanks Meter: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megamate123 View Post
I had the same problem with battery drain on my Treo 680 and found this solution from from Palm Technical Support:

If you encounter a poor battery life on your Treo 680 and you have to recharge very often even if not using the phone function, the issue might have been caused by an incorrect first charging of the device. Please follow the steps below to solve the issue:

1. Connect your Treo to the charger.

2. Remove the battery from the Treo and wait for at least one minute.

3. Remove the SIM card from the device and wait for another minute.

4. Put the SIM card AND battery back into the device and charge the Treo for at least 4 - 6 hours. Do NOT press any key after reinserting the battery. Do NOT switch your TREO On or Off either, it will do so automatically after a short time. Do NOT enter the SIM card PIN if prompted to do so, just wait!

After this procedure, which can be performed and repeated any time, you will now dispose of the full charging capacity and the display of the remaining battery power works correctly.

Hope this helps - it worked really well for me, reducing my battery drain from 50% to a mere 1% if I'm not using my Treo at night.
Thank you for this post, i will try this and i did some research and found an additional update:

“There's one glaring omission from Palm's instructions. It should be noted that if you have any apps that do anything automatically at boot up you must first disable them!!! For example, I have ChatterEmail set to turn on the radio at initialization. This must be disabled. I also have Soft Reset set to startup GoodLink at boot-up. This too must be disabled.

They tell you NOT to press any buttons or do anything during the 4-6 hour charge. Unfortunately, these auto-starting apps act as button pushers for you. So any app you have that automatically does something at bootup, whether than be to start a program, connect to the network, whatever... completely disable it, then follow the instructions above.”

AND just in case you have not encountered this ..... you can also try using the Palm - Support - Treo 680 Camera Update here's the link http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...eraupdate.html

Who should install this update?

All Treo 680 smartphone users who purchased their device before January 18, 2007 should install this Update.
The Following User Says Thank You to marlon22701 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2008, 18:33   #14427 (permalink)

Member: 669646
Thanks Meter: 29
Thumbs up Why Java Gmail app is better...

Quote:
Why do you need it, doesn't chattermail, snappermail or versamail work better with gmail? What does Gmail app do better (i have been very courious with this)?

I used the gmail app all the time before I had to do a hard reset. Now I use Snappermail Enterprise edition, which I am relatively happy with. HOWEVER, the biggest problems I have had, is that snappermail, or any of the others, to my knowledge, do not allow you to "archive mail, or save it with a special tag, like the regular pc gmail does. This is very useful for me, and the gmail app allows you to do this. If I am not using the gmail app, I simply have to kep the email I get, and then when I get home, go through it, archive it, or tag it, or do whatever is needed, causing extra steps and time for me. Also, on the note of stability, it is true, the Java may not be as stable, I was using the IBM Websphere, but in all honesty, I think I only had the gmail app crash once on me, and the built in web browser for my Treo 680, Blazer crasher more often than that. Anyways, I hope this helps, just my $.02

Thanks, Mapsking
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mapsking For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2008, 19:53   #14428 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_hat View Post
Since I do not know much (correction - anything) about the chatter, snapper or versamail you mention. I have no way of answering your question. Actually, [to cut a long story short] I am an immigrant from Symbian OS based Nokia 3230, 6630 and N70 to the Palm platform. And while using the OperaMini and OperaMini MODs for browsing, I preferred the Java based GMail to keep a close watch on Mails. Symbian OS's allow a level of multi-tasking unimaginable, I think, on the Palm platform. For example, at the same time I would be browsing on the native browser, OperaMini, perhaps the latest OperaMini Beta version, checking mails on GMail app, chatting on the integrated messenger Talkonaut, sending and recieving SMS's and making and recieving calls. All fairly without other processes being closed or interrupted. So I do not get that comfort with Palm. But the nostalgia with GMail app on the Symbian OS tempted me to try it out. Needless to say, I am not very successful in this. The Java implementation is very buggy, with even OperaMini causing me to have to reset my phone.
Wonder if I make an sense.....
yes you are parcialy right. Using the rights tools you get multitasking. Chattermail, Snapper and the last Versamail version all work in the background. SMS does work in the backgound (even my "callfilter" app that filters my 100 numbers spam sms works in the background). They will tell you if you get a new mail without going out of any app.

Now going to the app is another thing. If you do need to go to the app and don't what do leave the page you are on opera mini (or any other app), you can acessorize it. There are some apps that do this for you. Two come to mine, but one needs the other one. If you what everything acessoried you can use "fastlaunch" (http://software.palminfocenter.com/product.asp?id=17008), by press the first letter of a app and then select it, it will run ontop and then when you press home you will be back to the app you were on. This app can be found here if you search this thread.

The other app and is also needed for fastlaunch is acessoriser (http://www.1src.com/freeware/fileinfo.php?id=1674) and can be used as a stand alone. I use this one because i just acessorize the apps i know that work well and that I need (chatopus, calendar, butler, 1touchtimer, powerman, etc...) and then I add them to zlauncher launch anywhere feature. When you accessorize you are making DAs, which is like a widget that can be run on top of other apps, note just one can run on top.

Nokia has the best java platform. Maybe Palm has the worst.

There are many palm apps that work in the background like for music, mail, mensenger, etc...

There is advantage with palms way, you don't have to clean out your memory of apps you forgot to "exit" on the symbian platform making the system slow.
Old 11-24-2008, 19:56   #14429 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by myblackz28 View Post
So my brothers centro did a soft reset on him. he lost all his text messages. I figured if I hotsync the phone, the texts would come back. They didnt

My question is this: Is there some sort of back up program that backs up texts messages, contatcs, basically the whole phone? Can it back up to the card? Would love to have something that if a soft/hard reset occurs, just click a button and everything gets restored from the card. Any ideas?
Nvbackup, its free and very good, it even can sync your clock and can do a reset after backup to have a nice morning start.
Old 11-24-2008, 21:22   #14430 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 632564
Thanks Meter: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by myblackz28 View Post

Hello...

Sorry to hear about your brother's misfortune concerning his Centro.

Sounds as if he would have benefitted from a program called Backupman!

It does just what you requested... it allows you to backup your entire device to the memory card and then... if you encounter a problem< you can retrieve the backup from the card or... select the specific progam to retrieve.

Read up on all it can do at: www.bitsnbolts.com

If I'm not mistakened the cracked or patched version is available here also!

Good luck,
YoungCountry
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to youngcountry For This Useful Post: