GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > GSM & CDMA Phones / Tablets Software & Hardware Area > iPhone ,iPod & iPad (Apple Inc. Products) > iPhone, iPad, iPod Hardware Repair

iPhone, iPad, iPod Hardware Repair Hardware Repair discussions for iPhone, iPod , iPad & Apple Products, help, guides.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2015, 18:11   #1 (permalink)

Member: 1778461
Thanks Meter: 0
iPhone 5 turns on only on USB goes to recovery mode

Hi everyone,
I have this problem with iPhone 5 any help would be appreciated!

iPhone 5 turns ON only on USB and then goes to recovery mode.
Once connected to itunes, says it "needs to be restored to factory settings and updated". It goes all the way through restoration (8.2 firmware), then says "rebooting in 10 seconds" after the phone reboots says "No device found". The phone then displays "Connect to itunes logo".

iPhone 5 doesn't turn on at all without being connected to PC or charger. Once connected It doesn't react when I hold power button (stays on) or doesn't go to DFU mode.

I tried changing the battery and it's the same - Dead without a usb cable pluged in to PC or Charger

Can you please help me troubleshoot this phone? Thanks
Old 04-02-2015, 18:24   #2 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 193720
Thanks Meter: 16
you have a battery problems my brother.
Old 04-02-2015, 18:25   #3 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 193720
Thanks Meter: 16
you either need to replace the battery or if you are lucky the battery connector inside ur iphone is diconeected. good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to KARABO For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2015, 18:29   #4 (permalink)

Thanks. Current iphone 5 does charge the battery, but doesn't power on once plugged out from USB. (the battery that I changed is tested 100% with different iPhone). Do I need to look at any IC or capacitors for the battery?
Old 04-02-2015, 23:02   #5 (permalink)

Action taken and the solution for the problem:

1) Changed battery
2) restore through official itunes ipsw
3) once itunes say it's finished and it's going to reboot iphone in 10secs - unplug USB BEFORE time runs out
4) the iphone will reboot and continue to sort itself out - loading bar and apple logo (without being plugged)
5) after all done, plug to PC and itunes will recognise your fresh iphone 5

By the way:
my particular iPhone 5 was a bit dodgy, so after step 5 it kept vibrating and showed no image, I believe it's LCD/Digitiser fault, so I cleaned the connectors on board and screen. It managed to work fine without replacing screen. Before fixing image problems I knew my iPhone performed succesfull restore, because on PC you could see the activation window.
Power button wasn't working, that's why I was unable to put it on the DFU mode. I also needed to plug Charger other way round in order to activate charging on the iPhone.

I know, this fixing method is questionable, but it worked for me 100%, that's why I want to share with you guys. This iPhone had several problems, that's why troubleshooting was difficult.