GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > Product Support Sections > SIM Solution Products > R-SIM & GEVEY SIM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2013, 02:05   #1 (permalink)

Member: 2095702
Thanks Meter: 0
Verizon 4S Ios 7.0.4 - RSIM mini

These are the steps I took to get my Verizon locked 4S on 7.0.4 unlocked to T-mobile with an RSIM mini. I now have calls, outgoing and incoming sms/mms, imessage and data (I think just edge, will post an update on that later tonight).

This was a fairly frustrating process, mostly due to the lack of any documentation, but the card does work (at least it did for me).

When i first put the RSIM along my t-mobile sim into my 4S, the menu to select carrier did not come up, instead the phone went straight to activation required, which made it impossible to use the thing. After I was able to get around that issue the rest was actually fairly simple. I was able to get the phone unlocked following these steps:

1. Jailbreak the phone using Evasi0n

2. Install ifile from cydia

3. replace the contents of the Verizon carrier bundle folder with one that allows you access to your APN settings (I'm using a generic Vodafone bundle, anything should work as long as you can access your APN settings from it).

verizon bundle is found under:
/var/mobile/library/carrier bundles/verizon_ota_us

4. Reboot your iphone 4s, put a sim in it, check that you can access your APN settings under settings > cellular > cellular data. If you cant access the settings, try a different carrier bundle.

At this point I tried to insert the RSIM again and see if i could get the menu to come up, it still wouldn't. Even after changing carrier bundles it still went straight to the activation required screen. So i decided to test it with an iphone 5 to see if the RSIM was working on that, or if it was just totally useless.

5. Locate an iphone 5 you can borrow for a few minutes, I have a friend who has one luckily.

5. Put the RSIM-mini along with your friends sim (or any other spare sim you have that is NOT yours) into the iphone 5, the menu will come up select the mode for IOS7 on a 4s.

6. select input IMSI

7. enter the IMSI of the carrier the phone is CURRENTLY LOCKED to, not the one it will be unlocked to. (for my US Verizon locked phone the IMSI was 204043). complete setup as normal, it will go to the activation required screen (the RSIM is now in 4S mode, but it is in an iphone 5 so it fails to unlock).

8. turn off your iphone 4S, remove the RSIM from the iphone 5 and put it into the 4S along with YOUR sim card. Give your friend back his iPhone 5.

9. turn on the iphone 4S and the RSIM menu should now come up. Set up the RSIM again if needed, restart the phone when prompted and activate as normal, your phone should activate without issue.

10. After your phone is activated, install Irose and force 2g, restart your phone again.

11. go to your APN settings, under Settings > Cellular > cellular data network, Enter the settings for your carrier. T-mobile settings can be easily found on google

12. Activate imessage normally. Enjoy your phone.

Just thought this might help someone out there. Took me two weeks of trial and error before I hit on the right tweaks I needed to get it working.

Last edited by elmooso; 12-31-2013 at 02:12.
Old 01-07-2014, 23:44   #2 (permalink)

Member: 2101381
Hey elmooso, I stumbled across your step-by-step process here and decided to give it a shot. I've downloaded iFile and for some reason, after replacing the files in the Verizon_ota_us folder, I still don't have access APN settings. When I restart the phone and go to phone settings, I still see "Verizon services" at the very bottom. And when I go to cellular settings, I can only turn cellular data on or off.

I also noticed that there are 2 carrier bundle folders--one under /System/Library/Carrier Bundles and also one under the path you've mentioned: /var/mobile/library/carrier bundles. If you can provide additional details about that 3rd step, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2014, 14:32   #3 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 2094769
Thanks Meter: 76
You could not see the menu because the rsim you got has to be updated it sim application.
Old 01-14-2014, 00:05   #4 (permalink)

Member: 2095702
Quote:
Originally Posted by futur View Post
You could not see the menu because the rsim you got has to be updated it sim application.
No ****. But now I dont have to pay r-sim another 20 bucks for what should already be a working product + pay again for a patch to get mms/sms and data working.

As to the carrier bundles, I just wiped out everything in the verizon carrier bundle directory and the bundle in the default carrier bundle directory (also a verizon bundle) and replaced both of them with one of the generic vodafone bundles. Interestingly enough the phone seems to restore via iTunes now with the Vodafone bundle intact, very handy as the Verizon one is totally useless.