GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > Other Gsm/Mobile Related Forums > GSM Programming & Reverse Engineering

GSM Programming & Reverse Engineering Here you can post all Kind of GSM Programming and Reverse Engineering tools and Secrets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2002, 08:20   #1 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 8426
Thanks Meter: 17
Exclamation LOg's And Map's How Does it Work

Hi every body

can some one please explane us how does system of logging

and calculating work's

and is there an alternative for this system

and why all new soft's are loging softs

Where are people how makes softs for free

and best regards
Old 06-05-2002, 09:03   #2 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 3377
Thanks Meter: 1
logging is a method to protect the sw for canīt be cracked or clone or studied or... is a way to protect the soft
Old 06-05-2002, 14:06   #3 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 4690
OK, Logging works on a basic priciple:
All modern phones can be unlocked be reading information from the phone, running it thru an algorythm, and putting the output of the algo back into the phone.

They work like this:
User reads a log (this just contains the basic info about the individual phone, which is needed for unlocking)
This log is sent to be processed (either by hand, or automatically)
A remote service with the algorythm takes in the log and runs it thru the algorythm remotely - meaning the user never sees the algo, just the input and output (sometimes these are even encrypted too!)
The remote service stores the output from the algo in a "map" file (this is the term used for Siemens log outputs mainly, but is a useful term to distinguish log "in" and "out" files!) and sends this back to the user
User loads it into the logging software which interprets the contents and runs commands on the phone using the interpreted (and usually decrypted) contents of the map as parameters

Phone is unlocked!

The reason for this:
Money! If a person can charge you per log, they are garunteed to make a lot more than selling the software
Also, sold software is sometimes cracked by "nice" (i like them, lol) folk who pay the cash then get generous - programmers/services dont like this. Using logs and maps a user never sees the algo so can't crack it!

Erm, I think i've covered it all :/ I hope this clears it up a little for you!

Rgds,
David C. B.
Old 06-05-2002, 15:49   #4 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 1024
Thanks Meter: 5,510
Hi,

Yes true !

I will add only this:

1. About the money - in every business there is a calculation of the expences and the profits. If you are cleaner you probably need to buy brum and bucket for 2-3 quid and ready to make 5 pounds a hour

If you want to unlock latest phones davie, most probably you need to sell you parents house and invest the money in this project - so maybe is advisable to do it with Logs ( and fast ! )

2. Another problem is that latest security schemes implemented
by Nokia and Ericsson require from you to have some kind of security box or smart card to calculate the data.

Extracting the algo from a security processor would be too expencive to cover the initial investment, specialy now when prices fall everyday.

I don't want to predict, but looks like Logs are the future of this business.

BR
Old 06-06-2002, 03:33   #5 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 4690
With regards to both points: Yes - I totally agree!
Unlocking latest phones can cost wayyyy too much (if you buy the kit yourself) while logs cost only a fraction of that.
B-phreaks have been known for they're reliable and relatively cheap log calc service over the past - DCT4 being no exception.

The only problem with this is that if you want to provide unlocking professionally, due to the increasingly competitive market (leading to lower "end user" charges) you can make only a little per phone and therefor need to unlock a LOT to make any decent money (I myself, do not as of yet have the funding to work on such a large and professional scale and am just in it for the sake of learning and doing my own phones)

The log scheme tho, does help keep the market a little more open - lowering prices tho, do not as can't just lower your price as you wish (cos you own the kit) as you still have to pay for logs yourself!

I hope that made sense - lol..

Rgds