GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > GSM & CDMA Phones / Tablets Software & Hardware Area > iPhone ,iPod & iPad (Apple Inc. Products) > iPhone 2 / iPhone 3G / iPhone 3GS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 12:29   #1 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 932122
Sonork: hack it
Thanks Meter: 650
Arrow how to change lcd touch iphone3g & 3gs 100%

Tools

Heat gun ( or a **** dryer)
Latex Gloves
Compressed Air ( I'm cheap so i use a small bike pump)
Suction cup ( i used one that was too big but still worked)
Prying tools
E-xacto blade ( or something flat and thin)
Small Phillips screwdriver
Replacement parts ( I replaced the LCD and front glass)

Step 1 Opening iPhone

1) Take out two bottom screws (blue arrows)
2) Use suction cup ( place it around the home button) and flip the glass up
3) You will see connectors and numbers. Use the prying tool and lift the number one and number two connector. For the number three connector lift the flap and pull the screen away. ( Red arrows)

Step 2 Remove LCD tray from Frame/Touchscreen

1) Remove the tape on the side of the LCD ( black)
2) Remove the remaining screws ( blue)
3) Use a prying tool on the side of the LCD tray to lift the LCD slightly
4) Once the lcd has been lifter slightly use that small little hole on the bottom to slide the LCD down. ( safest way to remove LCD)

Step 2 Removing OLD LCD

1) You will have to unstick your old LCD from the aluminum tray ( this will ruin your OLD LCD, because the rear reflective material of the LCD will staty stuck to the LCD tray)
2) Remove old LCD reflective material (its like a mirror) and clean off the old adhesive
3) Test fit the new LCD ( it lines up with two small plastic nibs and two holes on the LCD tray
4) Remove the rear plastic from the new LCD, and stick it on the LCD tray ( you have to do this right the first step !)
5) When you are done use the old LCD as you template, and make small folds in the LCD cable connector ( you need it to be folded identically)

Step 3 Replacing front glass

I didn't take many pictures because, well its a pretty simple thing procedure, that is very difficult to do correctly. It's like removing the aluminum foil from a Hershey's bar. It's easy to do, but in the process the aluminum foil gets a bit wrinkled

1) Heat up the Glass and Plastic frame ( I can't really say how long depending on what you use, but a good sign is if you start to smell a little bit of plastic, that's a good signt

2) Someohow, either using your fingers or a prying tool, remove the glass/touchscreen from the frame. This will probably crack the lcd, and actually that makes it a bit easier. I heard from a friend, that if you already have a cracked glass, removing it is a bit easier than trying to remove it as an entire piece.

3) Clean off all the old residue, and if you bent your frame alittle, bend it back in to shape.

4) Apply the new adhesive strips ( pretty easy ) make sure that you when you buy the touchscreen/glass it comes with two new strips

5) Before you apply the touchscreen/glass put on some latex gloves ( from now until you are finish) and peel the inside screen protector away a bit, and tape down the cables

6)Remove the adhesive from the two strips and place the new glass on your plastic frame (take your time )

Step 4 Put New LCD back in

7) Remove the inside screen protector of the Glass/touchscreen and put it glass side up ( to avoid dust). Then remove the lcd screen protector and keep it in your hand ( you want to avoid getting any dust on it ). Before you snap the new LCD into the frame, make sure there in no dust/lint on either part ( used the compressed air before you put everything together, DON'T use the microfiber since they have lint)

Step 5 Put everything back together

Just the reverse, pretty easy. Before you put the screws on the LCD tray, make sure you didn't get any dust, if you did unsnap the lcd, used the compressed air to get it clean and put it back together. The only tricky connector is the #3 one, but its not too hard. Then you when you put the glass back into your iPhone, slide the top part first ( by the headset) and then the bottom part) and you are done !

Optional

I Love how clear the glass is, but I hate how easy it gets scratched. Right after you take off the front plastic film you can put on a screen protector without having to clean the glass

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shaibaz786 For This Useful Post:
Show/Hide list of the thanked