GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > GSM & CDMA Phones / Tablets Software & Hardware Area > iPhone ,iPod & iPad (Apple Inc. Products) > iPhone, iPad, iPod Hardware Repair

iPhone, iPad, iPod Hardware Repair Hardware Repair discussions for iPhone, iPod , iPad & Apple Products, help, guides.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 20:13   #1 (permalink)

Member: 1224858
Thanks Meter: 6
Solder Pad on iphone sim card broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafg View Post
iphone 3g sim problem solution

http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/atta...5&d=1244821357

br
nafg
My problem with the removed solder pad was discussed back at the beginning of this thread and some people attempted to answer it, but I am a bit lost.

In the above image I am missing the pad for the blue connection. Does anyone know if this edited image refers to the iphone 3G as I can't find anywhere that looks like the embedded image to link it to...
Old 02-01-2010, 21:22   #2 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 196727
Thanks Meter: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_oj View Post
My problem with the removed solder pad was discussed back at the beginning of this thread and some people attempted to answer it, but I am a bit lost.

In the above image I am missing the pad for the blue connection. Does anyone know if this edited image refers to the iphone 3G as I can't find anywhere that looks like the embedded image to link it to...

yes is iphone 3g is at backside under radiation graphite sheet

br
nafg
Old 02-02-2010, 16:57   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
yes is iphone 3g is at backside under radiation graphite sheet

br
nafg

Thanks for confirming it is the 3G model of the phone. I have removed the graphite sheet and now am faced with a PCB which looks identical to the one shown here http://s2.guide-images.ifixit.com/ig...1YVQh2IW.large . I would be very grateful if someone could show the correlation between this image and the previous one from nafg. If someone could highlight where the various colour-coded points connect to from the original image...
Old 02-02-2010, 18:14   #4 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 196727
Thanks Meter: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_oj View Post
Thanks for confirming it is the 3G model of the phone. I have removed the graphite sheet and now am faced with a PCB which looks identical to the one shown here http://s2.guide-images.ifixit.com/ig...1YVQh2IW.large . I would be very grateful if someone could show the correlation between this image and the previous one from nafg. If someone could highlight where the various colour-coded points connect to from the original image...

hi solution sim thank for pic

br
nafg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sim solution iphone 3g.JPG (63.3 KB, 81951 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nafg For This Useful Post:
Show/Hide list of the thanked
Old 02-03-2010, 14:27   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
hi solution sim thank for pic

nafg
Wow thanks for the speedy response nafg. I will follow your images and report how it goes.

Thanks
Old 02-03-2010, 21:15   #6 (permalink)

Member: 1220688
Thanks Meter: 0
Unhappy

i guess no replies because i am a girl who loves to fix stuff or they don't have clue..

either way here is another question: how do u place new power button in phone .can any one send a pic of the button actully in phone and how handle attached to it sits thanks..

also i managed to get phone sorted where i am now seeing replace battery symbol ..it would appear that motherboard has shut down since battery was dying and therefore would not boot hence apple logo .. i also sprayed the motherboard with some WD40 and left for a day ..
Old 07-25-2010, 22:41   #7 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 1352483
Thanks Meter: 24
3g water damage

Man there are some smart people on this board and I Thank You all for your help. Just going thru the posts I've learned sooo much
I have a couple questions.
How do you get the cages off to get too the chips and stuff.
The problem i have is an un-responsive touch screen, i swapped it out with a known good one. Still nothing. so i see on the board that i need to replace LM2512AA but its covered with a cage. ( i have no idea how to get it off)
and how to remove and reinstall it. Ive seen talk of "hot air" or soldering.
Also I saw a suggestion too wash the board. can i get something in a spray can for that?
Also the grey tape on one side how to remove it to do work and how to replace it to reassemble.
Thanks for the help
Tony
Old 07-26-2010, 03:48   #8 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 1352483
Thanks Meter: 24
3g iphone repairs

Is there anybody out there who does repairs on the 3g's.
I got the cage off the logic board and can see the part that i need to replace. Its a wee small thing. and i have no idea how to go about doing it.
So considering I'm in California USA who in the states repairs these things for a reasonable price.
I can take them apart but em back together but I think I'm over my head soldering on these little things. I have a soldering iron and the tip is half as big as what i need to solder
So repairing who's the man/woman to see.

I have two that need repair.
Both water damaged
A. runs and was even graded to 4.0.1 but the on/off button on top is hit and miss. I have it plugged into the computer right now.
I just held the top button till i got the red slider slid it and it started to shut down. Had the little rotating thing in the middle of the screen, the the white apple popped up and it fires back up again. I'll try and shut it down again.....Same thing again so thats one problem
Battery seems real week. I have two new ones coming.
Does anybody think i should take it apart and clean the board with some electrical cleaner? Should i pop the cages off?
It just fired up again. I'm going to put a couple songs on it and see if everything works.
Camera does. I'll update later.
Now for
B. touch screen doesn't work, i swapped with (A) and it don't work either and B's screen works on A.
So its most likely the display interface, but like i said it looks like a bit too much for me to do the repair my self. But i don't know what else might not be working on that one.
I did manage to recover 16 photo's from that one when it was seen by my computer as a camera.

Anyway Thanks to all of you Tech guys for the help and the info i gotten off of this board, and thanks in advance for your help.
Tony
Old 07-31-2010, 02:59   #9 (permalink)
Crazy Poster

Member: 1318122
Thanks Meter: 37
> How do you get the cages off to get too the chips and stuff.

You can use a small blade screwdriver to lift the cages using a twist just below where there are small holes. Be very careful not do damage any components with your screwdriver, and work slowly around each of the two cages. The two cages have 3 solder points joining them together under the copper tape. I lift the tape with a razor, then I remove these 3 solder blobs with solder-wick. I am not sure removing the solder points is 100% required, but I found it made lifting the cages easier.

> Also I saw a suggestion too wash the board. can i get something in a spray can for that?

You can buy PCB cleaner from an electronics shop, or use 100% isopropyl alcohol (use 99% pure or better, no rubbing alcohol). I use hot water after the alcohol and use a hair dryer on the board to quickly dry it and make sure no moisture/cleaner is remaining under the chips

>Also the grey tape on one side how to remove it to do work and how to replace it to reassemble.

I don't think that there is anything you need to access under the grey side of the board - everything is surface mount on the other side.

>Thanks for the help
>Tony
The Following User Says Thank You to jseraphim For This Useful Post: