GSM Shop GSM Shop
GSM-Forum  

Welcome to the GSM-Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.
Only registered members may post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 8 million posts.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please - Click to REGISTER!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us .

Go Back   GSM-Forum > Other Gsm/Mobile Related Forums > Sim Cloning and Scaning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2004, 00:36   #1 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Member: 15755
Thanks Meter: 0
Two active numbers on one sim?

Hello forum,

I'm new to this aspect and no SP support it officially in my country, but for a long time phones have had support for something called ALS (alternate line services), which is some way of having two numbers on one card. In one phone (Siemens CL50) it is even possible to put different ringtones for line1 and line2 whereby I suspect both lines can actually be active for receiving calls at same time. (Then you choose which card to use for outgoing calls.)
A short description: http://www.nextel.com/services/digit...eservice.shtml

Has anyone of you tried ALS in practice? How does it work?
Nowadays I carry two phones around - bussiness and private.
It would be very handy if both numbers - active at same time -
could be in one phone and calls could just be destinguished by
the tone.

Now next question is of course if it is possible to combine two non-ALS
sim cards into one emulated-ALS sim card and how?

Thanks for ideas

Last edited by Kasper; 11-10-2004 at 00:52.
Old 11-10-2004, 01:34   #2 (permalink)
No Life Poster

Member: 66040
Thanks Meter: 14
Hi, ive also asked that question before but i think the simultaneous use of 2 lines in one sim is IN the network. They forward your calls or messages from one number to the other which ever is active. Anyway, i hope someone would be able to make the alternate line possible for us
Old 11-10-2004, 19:54   #3 (permalink)
Freak Poster

Member: 16493
Thanks Meter: 3
this is an operator service, so you can't do alone.
Old 11-10-2004, 21:09   #4 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Are you sure it's not SIM related?
Technically since GSM is packet data it should be possible for the phone to listen to two lines at different time slots without additional hardware.
Just my thought.
Old 11-10-2004, 21:18   #5 (permalink)
Freak Poster

yes i am sure, these all options are operator services, no phone can receive two different call at the same time. Only operator can manage call options, these are gsm spects.
Old 11-11-2004, 00:28   #6 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Hmm, but how is it then possible for the phone to know which line is receiving the call - i.e. as apparant from the provided link many phones support different tones for line1 and line2. This is not possible if it was just simple call forwarding.
There would not be two calls at the same time ofcourse, the phone - I suppose - is just listening on different lines in different time slots. Just my guess, but I don't know it.
Think I will ask Nextel.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:52   #7 (permalink)
Freak Poster

operator sends command to phone about lines. also operator service and phone support 2 different line in 1 simcard, and phone switch line each (not using stk function) nokia has it. not all phones support different tones for each tones, i did not see it on nokia phones for example.

yes phone do not receive 2 calls at the same time, but when you re talkin, you can select so phone can inform you about second call... and you can select which line do you want to use while calling.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:42   #8 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Ok, sorry I must agree now. I wrote to Nextel, and they told me ALS is activated at the central and don't need any sim change. Then we csn only start a lobby to convince our local SPs about the need.
Any idea, why ALS is not widely supported by the operators?